98 Vmax 600 Triple Popping & Bogging
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

98 Vmax 600 Triple Popping & Bogging

This is a discussion on 98 Vmax 600 Triple Popping & Bogging within the Yamaha forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; hey, i'm trying to figure out if i'm gonna buy this sled or not. it's a friend of mines, it's a 98 vmax 600 triple. ...

"); }
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 98 Vmax 600 Triple Popping & Bogging

is Is Bummed Out

Member #
    hey, i'm trying to figure out if i'm gonna buy this sled or not. it's a friend of mines, it's a 98 vmax 600 triple. when you try to rev it up to go, it keeps backfiring and popping out the exhaust and bogging. carbs have been cleaned, new plugs, the TORS is disabled, and it keeps doing it. what should i check?

is Just got back from the lake.

Member #
    while it's at idle spray a little starting fluid around carb boots and crank seals and see if it revs. if it does then you need to possibly change seals. Also try choking it while it's bogging at WOT. If it takes off it could be bad fuel pump/clogged fuel filter. Could also be over-heating/holes or cracks in pipes/clogged can/ broken baffle in can/old gas/bad reeds/ hole in or bad piston(need compression check)/clogged airbox(mice)/ or timing

most likely not electrical except for timing as it does pop and run and electrical usually either works or doesn't. could be one bad coil though

is Is Bummed Out

Member #
    thanks for the help.

i just put 3 new plugs in it, same thing.
    i then hooked the TORS back up and adjusted the idle, that seemed to cure the popping/backfiring from idle to throttle up.
    so i went for a little ride with it, and it seems to run alright, but it has a strange hesitation. i will try to describe it. when your going along low to mid throttle, and you peg it, it will hesitate then take off and go. when i got back, i pulled the plugs out and all 3 are soaked. could this be that its getting too much fuel at low to mid throttle? i know there is a fuel screw inside the carburetor on the bottom that you have to tear the carburetor bowl off to get to (great place for it). should i try leaning that out 1/4 turn? and which way would i go with it to lean it out? i am a n00b when it comes to the rack style carburetor, but i know how to tune round slide carburetors. just need a little advice

also, where is the fuel filter on this behemoth?

is SOMEONE WRECK JIMMIE
    JOHNSON!!! LETS GO COUSIN
    CARL!!!

Member #
    The air mixture screw isn't inside the carbs on the flatslides, its on the bottom of the carb right beside the bowl. I believe the stock setting is one and a half out someone can confirm that for you. The clutches okay on it?

is Is Bummed Out

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SRXSRULE
    The air mixture screw isn't inside the carbs on the flatslides, its on the bottom of the carb right beside the bowl. I believe the stock setting is one and a half out someone can confirm that for you. The clutches okay on it?
    it has the triple rack style carburetor, not mikuni round slides.

is Is Bummed Out

Member #
    sorry about that^^ i see what your talking about now.. what is that screw for?

is loves his ole ball and chain

Member #
    its an air screw, it lets more or less air in, giving a little adjustment in the lean to rich mixture

is Is Bummed Out

Member #
    ok i messed around with that screw a bit and it didnt seem to like it anywhere else besides 1 1/2 turns out , so i left it at that. it's still popping out the exhaust and has a hesitation from 1/4 throttle to full. new plugs did not help. i pulled the top off one of the carburetor to see where the needle was, but i cant figure out how to get the slide out without busting it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing666
    hey, i'm trying to figure out if i'm gonna buy this sled or not. it's a friend of mines, it's a 98 vmax 600 triple.
    Yammie never made a 600 triple vmax in '98,it was a twin,,they had a 700 witch was a vmax trip....

is Is Bummed Out

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by daman
    Yammie never made a 600 triple vmax in '98,it was a twin,,they had a 700 witch was a vmax trip....
    i have it sitting right out in my garage.. will take pics

Attachment 138075
    Attachment 138076

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links