2000 Polaris Indy Triumph...Maintenance and Fuel Issues.
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on 2000 Polaris Indy Triumph...Maintenance and Fuel Issues. within the Vintage forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; All, Have a 2000 Polaris Indy Triumph (45 Year Edition).... Sled has only 3800 miles on it...I am 3rd owner. 1st owner was a friend ...

"); }

Thread: 2000 Polaris Indy Triumph...Maintenance and Fuel Issues.

This user has no status.

Member #

All,
    Have a 2000 Polaris Indy Triumph (45 Year Edition)....

Sled has only 3800 miles on it...I am 3rd owner. 1st owner was a friend of the person (long time friend 30+ years) I bought it.

Anyways its very clean for its age and mileage...The sled was usually used for trail riding up north my buddy got a deal that I still would not turn away on a much newer sled so I bought his Triumph so he could get his new one. He... to this day said he would buy it back for what I bought it from him for...

The sled while in my ownership pretty much took the kids out around the yard and I took it on a 30 mile trip but for the most part its been a enclosed trailer/garage queen with the last 4+years as its been in storage...Lucky to get 150 miles a year on it...The last time I ran it with my buddy...the long trip he mentioned, after some difficulty in starting in the morning, that I needed more than likely to replace my fuel pump. It was a hard start... 10-20 pull then start...or a few gas sprays and pull it started ...once started...good for the day or so always with first pull.

Anyways we got some snow, my kids wanted me to take them for a spin in our new-to-us farm property and on a 0 to -5 degree day I fired the sled up with a little gas squirt in the pistons and new full tank of gas ...actually multiple attempts but it ran without me pulling my arm out.

After a warm up of the engine....Ran the kids (5) around the yard till they were cold and tired (3+ hours) and the sled did not miss a beat...I did notice my brakes needed bleeding though but no big issue... I decided to open (adult time) it up on some country (closed for winter) roads. After ripping the straight shots at 70 mph I wondered about my friend and the fuel pump suggestion as the engine seemed fine but it just was not making the once remembered 90 mph...Anyways after about 2 miles at 70 the engine started to stumble (seemed starved for gas - half tank or more left) and the engine finally just died out. (It was just a mile away from anything in six inch snow...but that's a different story for a different day).

I was able to start it again and drive it about 100 yards and did the same starved stall out....I got the truck and we thru it in back...after multiple pull attempts...just stumble and die out..even though pistons were squirted.

So I figured the fuel pump and have ordered a used pump (correct year even etc) and two rebuild kits.

This got me wondering...the sled is 18 years old...I have done nothing to maintain except plugs...what should I look into to get this sled back into decent shape....Guys looking to get this sled at a few pull and start type of thing...Not looking to break the bank...got five kids etc...but can throw some money at it.

The track and idlers look good...Going to do a compression test on the cylinders to see where things are at now first....Its not electric start but looked like it was an option for it.

I figure the fuel pump is a good start and was cheap but I am figuring a set of new hoses for the fuel pump probably be good for safety... start at pump replacing....From watching different videos seems like there are different hoses out there...What is the best type to get?

I do have the owners and Service Shop manual for the sled...We got some warm weather coming...so perfect time to read and get pump in.

I know at one time (years before I bought it) my buddy replaced Float Valve assembly only on one of the carbs....it hung up he said...I wondered why he did not just replace all three and do a complete rebuild on all the carbs but he showed me the receipt....gave me an idea...

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by SolomonMan; 01-28-2019 at 07:51 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    1 Compression test
    2 Clean and set carbs to spec (you have all the literature w/ specs)
    3 Replace fuel filter and verify pick up in tank is good (get fuel hose from auto or sled shop)
    4 Clean and check clutches
    5 New belt
    6 Ride and enjoy - hopefully
    Polaris...it IS the way out!

This user has no status.

Member #

Got Busy....Till this weekend...Finally got to look at the sled again!

All,
    I did a compression test...130 across all three cylinders.

Replaced the fuel pump with a known good pump (one I bought)...I busted it open quick to confirm it looked clean and it did....put it all back together...tried to pull start repeatedly...no dice...I pulled the main hose from the fuel tank to pump at the pump and it was dry...

Tried to blow some air back into the tank and it sounded like air...no stop or anything...no bubbles or anything...tried to vacuum back with my vacuum pump and no gas....So I did the clothes hanger fish'in and still cant locate the hose or filter...

So I took some new fuel line from pump to the tank by way of filler cap...and three pulls and it starts right up...did it next morning ...one pull...day later...one pull...day later one pull started each time....so I figure I lost the hose and filter in the bottom of tank...

Looked more with a high brightness LED but I still do not see it....

So I have never removed the fuel line ester-hose and filter assembly before...how does it come apart?

Diagrams are not the greatest but it appears to pull out of tank from the outside...

Another thing I noticed on the sled is my Baffle Foam is disintegrating (looking bad)...Not seeing it as available or priced anywhere...Suggestions on where to get/source?

Thanks for the help,
    Chris

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SolomonMan View Post
    All,
    I did a compression test...130 across all three cylinders.

Replaced the fuel pump with a known good pump (one I bought)...I busted it open quick to confirm it looked clean and it did....put it all back together...tried to pull start repeatedly...no dice...I pulled the main hose from the fuel tank to pump at the pump and it was dry...

Tried to blow some air back into the tank and it sounded like air...no stop or anything...no bubbles or anything...tried to vacuum back with my vacuum pump and no gas....So I did the clothes hanger fish'in and still cant locate the hose or filter...

So I took some new fuel line from pump to the tank by way of filler cap...and three pulls and it starts right up...did it next morning ...one pull...day later...one pull...day later one pull started each time....so I figure I lost the hose and filter in the bottom of tank...

Looked more with a high brightness LED but I still do not see it....

So I have never removed the fuel line ester-hose and filter assembly before...how does it come apart?

Diagrams are not the greatest but it appears to pull out of tank from the outside...

Another thing I noticed on the sled is my Baffle Foam is disintegrating (looking bad)...Not seeing it as available or priced anywhere...Suggestions on where to get/source?

Thanks for the help,
    Chris
    YOu need to remove the air box - you are correct it is removed from the outside - It will screw out - You can get a replacement in tank filter for about 3.50 on Denniskirk.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links