Snowmobile Fanatics banner

98 Indy 500

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jacksost90 
#1 ·
Howdy all! This may be somewhat of a lengthy post, however I'm just trying to give as much info as possible. Bought a barn stored 1998 Indy 500 at the end of last season for my son. Sled had been sitting for a number of years. When I got it home, I first pulled the motor and carbs, cleaned the engine compartment (just because I'm meticulous about this) and drained and cleaned the tank. I replaced ALL seals and gaskets, compression tested 121 and 122 on cylinders. All new fuel lines, new in tank brass filter, new coil pack with new plugs and boots, new voltage regulator, then had carbs ultra sonic cleaned. Put back together and it fired right up. But now it has developed a big after running for about 10 minutes, to the point it won't move. Will idle all day, but once it's warm and you apply throttle, it just bogs and won't t move. Has anybody had this experience? Any info and insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

#2 ·
Did you replace the fuel inlet needle float valves in the carbs? I'm wondering if they are not closing, and allowing gas to continue to flow into the carb bowl and load up the engine.

#4 ·
bogs and smokey if you run it on a track stand how does it run? what are engagement rpms? wide open rpms? clutches in good shape? could be broken primary spring, bad secondary spring. the stock red one should be tossed out for a black spring any how.

did the carbs get synced? chokes set right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.