Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine went in my 700 last season. Infamous crank bearing seized solid at 2200 miles. Anyway, I am finally over the shock and looking to replace the engine. There is an '03 600 HO available and I was wondering if anyone would know if this would bolt right in? Would I need to change the mounting plate? Or? Anything else I should know? Also, performance wise, would this be a plus or minus from the original plant?

Appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
'03 600 HO. Can't say much about mounting the engine. I can say that that year needed to have some careful consideration relative to the rings. From what i hear, and have read, the '03's need cudney rings and pistons to increase reliability. Some call it internet hype, others have lost compression and had the rings flake. So if you do buy that engine, do a cheap rebuild on it and install rings and pistons. My buddy has an '03 HO and he's had no worries with his. he didn't even rebuild it, yet.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I know that pre-rev engines fit in the Rev race chassis which is the same mounts as the consumer modles. And the 700 is the same as the 600 with bigger jugs so in theory it should fit but for a positive answer Im sure your local dealer would have some information on it.

Im going to say yes it does work not to mention the gained 5 or six horse swiching to a HO engine. Get the rings done and a aftermarket pto seal and it will be as reliable as any other Ski-doo engine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
A reman crank from ski doo is around $400, and im sure you could get some help with changing it out. Switching to the 600 ho will require the complete motor swap out, all the wireing, mpem, and clutch set-ups. The carbs can be used with recalibration, as with the primary clutch. A 600 ho will bolt onto the zx base plate no problem there. Performance wise the 600 ho is not a 700. Many people think and say they are close but it is still not a 700, Ive ridden both and I still prefer my 700. With the cost you would be looking at with the swap you are much better off, and it will be cheaper to just fix you motor. I also have a 2000 mxz 700 and had the rod bearing let go. I put in a reman crank, new pistons from SPI, had both cylinders re plated, rings, and all the misc stuff for $1100 bucks, and I had a brand new top to bottom motor. Swapping out to another used motor is a gamble anyways, it may last for 10,000 miles or blow after only 5 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 55X. I just got off the phone with a dealer this a.m. and they said pretty much what you did verbatim. I don't have the time to rebuild my sled so I have decided that I am going to buy another sled and part mine out. I really liked the 700 but am debating whether or not to stay with ski-doo after this engine experience. I have heard of a lot of people having problems with these engines and it is frustrating to end a trip early with mechanicall problems. My sled before this one was a Polaris XLT triple which was bulletproof. I sold it still running strong with 6K on the engine. I know there are no guarantees with these toys but for the money they want for them they should last longer than 2200K. I will probably try my luck with another ski-doo......

Here is a pic of my poor 700.

[attachment=48479]

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.