Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has my old 2000 XC SP 600. He has two major issues-

1- Leaking antifreeze. When i gave him the sled, it was leaking antifreeze. I was told it was a bad top end gasket. Every gasket has been replaced on the engine, short of the crank seals. It is leaking coolant out of the exhaust. One other fact that should be said here is that the motor seems to be a completely new motor, out of a new sled, due to the fact that it has the bigger valves.
Any ideas?

2- No headlights at all. The gauge lights are flickering. We don't think it's a voltage regulator.

HELP!
My buddy's getting ready to blow it up
TDG

http://nh.craigslist.org/bar/1976988585.html

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Change the base gaskets and the head o-rings, tighten the head from the inside and work out. Even if the o-rings look good, change them. Completely remove old base gaskets, even a little bit on the case or cylinder will cause a leak!
Change the voltage regulator, check the wiring to the hood, follow it carefully and check for melting.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All been done.

·
Registered
454 Posts
check all surfaces with a machinest flat edge for flatness. If warped at all there will be leaking. Also check for any little cracks...magnaflux the head or heads as the case may be.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
We had a edge x that did this. We rode it like this for 3-4 times and it never did it again. kinda odd

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dekk85 said:
We had a edge x that did this. We rode it like this for 3-4 times and it never did it again. kinda odd
That certainly is odd.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Check the inside of the head for anything that looks like a hairline crack.. (or a big crack!)

Had a 96 Ultra with a cracked head, spit antifreeze out the exhaust. Saw it after I had changed all o-rings and gaskets and it still did it. Could just barely see the crack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts