Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there ever experienced thier XCR 800 bogging in deep snow? I have a 2000 I bought used and went through the whole thing with a fine toothed comb. New motor, new Exhaust valve, drive line is great and the clutches and belt are tip top as far as I can tell. The sled is completly stock. On hard pack its unreal, but if I get on the lake or some powder conditions the motor bogs and will only pull about 7000rpm, if the snow cond. are worse...3ft of snow it will bog to 6000rpm. Seems once I get back on solid ground it clears itself and goes like a raped ape. I am at my wits end with it. Any suggestions.
cheers

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
one you might want to replace the square almond with a new round almond from polaris.

two if it is in powder that is coming over the dash it might be plugging the intake filter on the dash. or the sled is sucking the snow in under the hood. is the foam good and in place on the air box?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have run into this myself, My fix was to install an Exhaust canister output deflector sheild. to keep snow from going up the canister pipe that goes through the belly pan... I would not buy the 1 you see online, like I did..Waste of 25 bucks!!!! just shape 1 out of a peice of 18 gauge sheet metal yourself...Do a search online and you will find specs to fab 1 up yourself very easily... Let us know how you do....

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for your help. I fabbed up an exhaust deflector last night, I had that idea in mind so I tried it. Absolutly cured the problem 100%. Went for a ride on the lake with 2ft of snow and the thing pulled to 85-8600rpm and was gone!! Unbeleivable sled! Does anyone know if the exhaust valve adjustment does anything? I noticed you can change the spring tension on them, has anyone experimented with that? Also what are these XCR'S supposed to pull for full throttle rpm (stock) 8600??
Oh and I also noticed the guy I bought this from had already changed the stock primary sqaure spring to a round almond. Works very well but the thing seems a bit fat with the stock 440 mains.

thanks guys
happy sledin and happy holidays from northern CANADA

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
in im at around 900-1000' elevation. with the second hole in the air box and then bring it up through the dash. it will help a little. I run 420's with good gas with stock pipes. you want to be around 8100-8300 rpm.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
second hole in the airbox and then bring what up throught the airbox??
I was thinking about making another hole in the airbox but i am not sure what it would really do??

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
it helps the motor breath. you just get a second rubber piece and foam like what is already in there. then you drill a hole through the dash over the top of it. slp makes a prefilter that will tell you what size to drill.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya what I actually did was drill out three 1.5" holes in the back of the airbox and glued airbox foam to them. This allows the engine to get that extra air and also from drawing it from under the hood, in heavy snow conditions it also acts like carb heat...works amazing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts