Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posting a question for a co-worker here...

He's gotten one season on his 01 Polaris 550 supersport and absolutely HATES the suspension. He says its way too stiff. Right now the front springs are backed all the way soft, rear suspension springs are too, and now the adjustable rear shock valve is turned 100% soft. He still says it's way too stiff (He's ~220 pds, medium paced trail rider) I've said it's just him wanting a cadillac ride out of a sports car; but he disagrees and now wants to get all new fox shocks...Whatchya "Polaris/Suspension" experts think?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
First make sure the limiter straps are all the way out. Next uncouple the suspension as much as possible. This means move the rear scissor stops as far back as you can. I am 225 lbs and have X-tra 10 on my sled....and i have my springs cranked all the way up. I believe he is riding on the Edge suspension, but the setup is still the same.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Before dumping a bunch of money on Fox shocks,he can also try softer torsion springs available from Polaris.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The 2 above ideas are right on the money, but if that's not good enough then I think that he expects too much out of snowmobiling in the way of comfort. 225 with the suspension backed right off, it should ride like a cloud unless there are seized or bent suspension parts. Maybe he should stick to driving cars, or better yet, if new sleds are the only thing he has riden, have him spend a day on and old Polaris Colt, TXL, or worse, a '69 Olympic, then he'll appreciate what a nice ride he's got.
Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a 97 ultra 680 spx se with a extra 10 suspension. I know the the stiff buck feeling up the back, I rebuilt the fox shocks put heavier springs on the lowest block settings, moved the coupling block all the way back, front limiter straps and about 3/8" thread showing, back straps all the way out, and I weight 235lbs and it rides great now.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by 500fasEnuf
[br]I think that he expects too much out of snowmobiling in the way of comfort. have him spend a day on and old Polaris Colt, TXL, or worse, a '69 Olympic, then he'll appreciate what a nice ride he's got.
lol..exactly what I thought. I told him about the lighter springs and moving the rear scissors back. Quote from him today "I just like b****ing about it" (since it's not as nice as his cat's suspension) So now I've said screw it, he's on his own. But thanks for the help guys...it's greatly appreciated, by me at least [:)]

·
Registered
608 Posts
500fasEnuf, Don't go cutting down the TXL. I can remember when I first rode my 78. I thought it rode like a dream and I was on top of the world. Then when my brother bought his first Indy I was humbled. But I could still blow him away anywhere we raced. There is always something better coming along, but I will allways remember my TXL. It's to bad I was young and stupid back then and roached it bad.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Heres a video to look at if your friend wants to see if there is any more that can be adjusted.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/product/sno/video/02Susp.asp

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by zackattack
[br]500fasEnuf, Don't go cutting down the TXL.
Hey Zack...I wasn't really cutting down the old Polaris', my Dads Electra goes like snot, those 70's Polaris' had lots of jam, but ride like a canoe on gravel compared to todays M-10's and Xtra's.
But I know you are probably joking. [:)]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts