Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do these two sled compare in power, torque, top speed etc. The 600 has VES and the 800 doesnt. Other then that they are pretty much the same sled as far as chassis in concerned. I have a chance to get a 600 with less miles then my 800 and I'm wondering if I'm going to notice a big difference between the two.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
To be honest that 600 will run right with that 800. The 800 will obviously be a bit faster but the 600 will keep up with it. I've heard from a guy that had both. He said he would ride the 600 over the 800 becuase it was overall a funner sled to ride. Also with that 800 not having the VES it is going to get horsesh!t for gas mileage, just remember that. I personally would probably get the 600 but you make your own desicion. The 600 will have 113 hp. and the 800 should have 126 hp since it doesnt have VES. According to Polaris with a 1:1 clutch drive ratio the 600 should go 101 mph with stock gearing. This is under perfect conditions that you might truely see this on radar. The speedometers are not close to accurate so you can't really measure off of that. The 600's have been known to be a bullet proof motor that has great performance and power for its size, which I believe is true being that I own onw. Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have an 01 800,non-ves, one of the guys I ride with has a 600 ves ,and another has a 700 ves. Fuel mileage the 800 is the worst, and a far as bragging rights; its all about the hole shot. Not one sled has the clear advantage over any other.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i have do disagree with both of these posts. the 800 walks away from the 600. they will get off the line the same but within about 50 feet the 800 is going away and has a higher top end.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would have to disagree also. I have a 2001 XC800 non-ves and a good friend has a 2002 600 ves. They are the same up to about 30mph (because the 800 is spinning so badly) and after that the 800 just keeps pulling away....

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
^^^ The last two have it right. The 800 spins alot more of the start that a 600 or 700 because it has that much more power. If you put an 1 1/4" track on it you will hook up better and will beat the small sleds of the line.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have ran many of these two sleds together, totally stock. The 800 is quicker but only marginal. If you want more than 1 sled length on your wifes 600 with your 800 your not likely going to get it. The 800 is faster top end by about 3 MPH. Most of the guys who bought the 800 VES were not happy with them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Two weekends ago, I ran 101 on the gun (radar). I was on about 3 inches of rough hardpack. I raced an 02 Edge 700 and a newer XCSP 800 (edge chassis). I have one tooth dropped up top and different springs with stock weights. All of us were pretty close off the line, but I pulled away from 40mph to 100mph and never looked back. The 700 hit 100 on the gun that day, but the 800 didn't run it. Both were stock, just cosmetics. I suggest the 600 VES.........I LOVE MINE! They suprise alot of people, including myself.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I owned both of them, enjoyed both for what each was capable of doing. But went to 136" on the 600 right away after buying and that thing ripped. Gear it down, add a couple grams of weight to the clutch and hang on. Install a Tempaflow to it and be happy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Should have said all 3 sleds have different mods to them. being that the 600 isn't much slower than my 800, Id go with the 600 all day. Not only is it pretty quick, less fuel stops.

·
Registered
916 Posts
amen!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Originally posted by nowwhatbroke
[br]Should have said all 3 sleds have different mods to them. being that the 600 isn't much slower than my 800, Id go with the 600 all day. Not only is it pretty quick, less fuel stops.
It will cost less to insure in soon places too. But an 800 is an 800, If you do similar mods to the 800 you will get a similar result.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 800 was a slug until I dropped the jetting and adjusted my suspension. Then my 800 turned into an 800.
But yes out of the box the 600 will run right with the 800. THe 800 NEED a drop in the jetting Dept.. Clutching, alot of guys over on HSC have a really good ste up. And if you want to drag race you need to set your suspension for that.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
in the group of guys i ride with, i have an 01 800, one other guy has an 01 800 and the other has an 01 600. both of their sleds up until this season were 100% stock. mine has been modified so i'll leave that out of it. we've raced these two sleds many times. the gearing is very similar, the clutching is slightly different. the 800 has a solid 15-18hp on the 600 depending on where you get the numbers.. other than minor cluthing and even more minor gearing differences they are the same sled. the 800 will regularly get 10mpg riding trails all day. the 600 might get closer to 12.

in my opinion there is more potential for gain in the 800, the only drawback being the possible crank bearing issue.

hmfrappy- i saw you mention the jetting in another thread. if i'm not mistaken this guy is asking specificially about the 01 800 because he said non ves. the jetting from the factory is different than in the ves 800 models. in 01 they came with 460s from the factory. they can still go down a little, but it's not as much of a problem as you've mentioned about yours.

with clutching and a single pipe my 800 destroys both the 600 and the stock 800. haven't had a chance to run them again since i put on twin pipes this year, haven't even started the sled yet. both of their sleds are going to be clutched but otherwise stock this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts