Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I start up the sled for the first time this season w/o a problem. After running it over the yard one time i noticed a ton of coolant coming out the overflow line. When I started the sled I had not added any coolant for this season and the level was right about at the line. It emptied about half the bottle! Anyone have any good ideas of what I should be looking at? Should i just start pulling hoses?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
check out your thermostat. if that's ok, possibly a waterpump issue.

have you run it with no snow before? it may just overheat from lack of snow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If all those^^^^check out ok, I have also had bad head gasket/O-rings cause coolant overflow during the first few minutes of run time. Then it would be fine once it was warmed up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I "check" the thermo and waterpump. Sorry, I've just never really done much with the coolant systems.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
basically you buy an new thermostat and put it in, then see if that fixes the problem. i don't know of a way to test one. there's a hose that goes to a fitting on to of your cylinder head cover. right on top, toward the back, between the cylinders. inside that is the thermostat. i don't know how much one is for a sled, i've never changed one. they are really cheap for a car, like less than $10. if you take it out and go to an autoparts store they may have one to fit.

check out this link, this is the blow up of your top end. part #32 is your thermostat. expensive from this place, maybe you can get it cheaper locally.

http://partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1167344648-83063&P=SM-2001-500-XC-SP-CYLINDER

the waterpump is more involved. how many miles are on the sled?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
that's not many miles. i doubt there's anything wrong with the water pump itself but the belt could be bad i guess. i think the same belt drives the water and oil pump. so i wouldn't run it until you look and see the belt isn't broken. if the belt is good, and the thermostat is good, maybe you need to change the coolant?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A dealership tech recomended buying a new coolant bottle and cap...Only problem is, thats like 40 bucks to not if its gunna fix the problem

·
Registered
30 Posts
They way I have always tested Thermostats was by boiling them on the stove when the water starts to boil the thermostat should open this works for the ones in cars so should work for a sled too

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had the same thing happen and turned out it was a thermostat. The thermostat wouldn't open, and allowed the coolant in the motor to boil and back up out the line. Its a simple fix, costs about $35. Just make sure you bleed the cooling system properly after your done. I also used the boiling method to see if it was opening or not before i replaced it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by XCSP5000
[br]So I start up the sled for the first time this season w/o a problem. After running it over the yard one time i noticed a ton of coolant coming out the overflow line. When I started the sled I had not added any coolant for this season and the level was right about at the line. It emptied about half the bottle! Anyone have any good ideas of what I should be looking at? Should i just start pulling hoses?
Sounds like coolant cap the cap should hols 13 psi, find somebuddy with a cap tester

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thermostat works just fine. I guess maybe its the cap, tho i dont see how the cap could have gotten messed up over the summer. Is there anyway to test the cap?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should also note that most of the coolant is released through the overflow hose when i give it a little bit of throttle. Very little coolant is released at flat idle.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Take the cap off, start the engine, and see if you have an exhaust smell in the overflow bottle. If you have a head gasket or base gasket or even a crack in the water jacket, the compressed exhaust gasses can get into the cooling system and pressurize the system VERY quickly. You should be able to rule it out just by smelling for exhaust...

If it isn't a leak into the cooling system, and it gets worse when you accelerate the throttle, that would seem to rule out the belt. Faster water pump speed with acceleration would seem to indicate the belt is working...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts