Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm wondering if a clutch from a 02 600 xc clutch would fit on a 03 800 edge x? i've heard some people put a 550 clutch on their 700/800's. but didn't change the weights and the spring. made it slower but put more power to the ground. what i intend to do is swap the clutch and put the weights and the spring on there since the rollers on the original clutch is shot.

· Registered
2,432 Posts
Will it fit? Yes

Should you do it? I wouldn't

I don't know this for a fact, but I heard the 800's have a heavy duty clutch. I have seen that the HD clutches are thicker where the bolt attaches it to the crank. I have a couple pictures. They aren't the best but I think you can see what I mean.

Heavy duty clutch on my 02 Edge X 800. You can see the thicker part just inside of the "RIS" right by the bellypan.
Auto part Vehicle Engine Tire Automotive tire

Light duty clutch on my 01 RMK 700. The face of the clutch is flat.
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Automotive exterior

Attachments

· Registered
4,306 Posts
shady800x said:
i've heard some people put a 550 clutch on their 700/800's. but didn't change the weights and the spring.
That is exactly what you do NOT want to do, the weights and spring will be too light. The sled will bog down in low RPMs and over rev on top end. Either look around for advice on how to set up your clutches or buy a clutch kit for your sled.

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just wanted a temp clutch. we still do have some snow here and i don't have enough money or the time to buy a rebuild kit for the clutches. i'd say we have two or three weeks at the most, left for this snow to last. i'll purchase a complete clutch over the summer tho for my 800.

bigrok said:
Will it fit? Yes

I don't know this for a fact, but I heard the 800's have a heavy duty clutch. I have seen that the HD clutches are thicker where the bolt attaches it to the crank. I have a couple pictures. They aren't the best but I think you can see what I mean.

Heavy duty clutch on my 02 Edge X 800. You can see the thicker part just inside of the "RIS" right by the bellypan.

what if i were to put the clutch cover on this other clutch that i have? along with the weights and the spring? think that would work? temp fix?

· Registered
1,480 Posts
shady800x said:
i just wanted a temp clutch. we still do have some snow here and i don't have enough money or the time to buy a rebuild kit for the clutches. i'd say we have two or three weeks at the most, left for this snow to last. i'll purchase a complete clutch over the summer tho for my 800.

bigrok said:
Will it fit? Yes

what if i were to put the clutch cover on this other clutch that i have? along with the weights and the spring? think that would work? temp fix?
NEVER swap clutch components from one slutch to another. WEights are ok, but the rest of the actual clutch is balanced as an assembly. If you start swap the cover your clutch will be out of balance and at the least you will dramatically shorten the life of your crank bearings. Worst case scenario is that your clutch will explode at speed and send pieces of clutch shrapnel flying everywhere.

Just swap the clutch out and put the correct weights and spring for the 800 in the clutch that is on it.

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's what i thought could happen too. so i'm not gonna put that 600 clutch on. i'm gonna order a new clutch assembly with new weights and a spring. we still have some snow left, but it's melting fast. i just hope they'll get here in time...another 700 dollars spent. first i spent 720 for the engine and water pump parts, now the clutch. things do get pricey... i guess it'll be worth it in the long run. probly time to upgrade too >.<

· Registered
4,306 Posts
shady800x said:
that's what i thought could happen too. so i'm not gonna put that 600 clutch on. i'm gonna order a new clutch assembly with new weights and a spring. we still have some snow left, but it's melting fast. i just hope they'll get here in time...another 700 dollars spent. first i spent 720 for the engine and water pump parts, now the clutch. things do get pricey... i guess it'll be worth it in the long run. probly time to upgrade too >.<

Go to ebay and get a used clutch, you can get next to new clutches for $200.

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'd rather get a brand new one. but that's just gonna have to wait. i need to get some things for my wedding. guess i'm just gonna have to use the fanner for the rest of this spring.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Why dont you just run the 600 clutch with the 800 weights and spring? The 800 clutch just has a larger bushing for increased durability and bushing life. A couple weeks wont hurt that 600 clutch. It might put a little premature wear on the outer bushing but thats no big deal.

I would run the 600 clutch for the little time you have left and make the best of the rest of your season.

· Registered
2,970 Posts
Yes the 600 clutch will work in there just fine with your weights/spring for the 800. Just can't be swapping other parts like the spider and cover. You can however pull the rollers off if you want and stick them on the old clutch. I bought a brand new clutch off of ebay for $250, still have it as one sled is down again. Money talks, can have this to you asap, sure beats dealer pricing.

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Luke said:
Why dont you just run the 600 clutch with the 800 weights and spring? The 800 clutch just has a larger bushing for increased durability and bushing life. A couple weeks wont hurt that 600 clutch. It might put a little premature wear on the outer bushing but thats no big deal.

I would run the 600 clutch for the little time you have left and make the best of the rest of your season.
lol i wasn't sure if that would be the right thing to do. i was thinking that i would ruin the crank bearings that way so i didn't do that option. i was going to, but i changed my mind. i couldn't find a clutch puller and that 600 clutch looked like it was weathered/crusted and rusted. so i'm leaving it alone till next season. also i siphoned out the gas from the 800 to the 550, it's alright if i don't use the 800 for the rest of this spring, just save it for next season. also vert, i don't have no more money to make any further purchases for my snowmachines. thanks for the offer tho. and guys thanks for the input.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Gotcha, well have fun on the 550 anyway. At least youre still riding, enjoy.[thumb]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.