Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I was the one who stirred that one up. Let's try another one. With no snow to speak of the only way to decide any of this is on line!

krappana and I have "new to us" sleds this year. In a week and a half we're going to square off on the lake by my parent's cabin. The contestants:

Me
'02 700 XCSP
SLP can
144 studs

Him
'01 600 XCSP
136" track with 1.25 Predator track (no studs)
V Force 3 reeds

I'm about 200 lbs and the Gentle Giant is around 240 (I'm guessing here). Do I get him with the extra cc's, studs and lighter load? Can his 136 give him the better hook up and leave me chasing?

Looks like there are alot of 600 fans on here. I've heard good things about both sleds. Who wins a straight line drag? I'm thinking about doing the 136 with mine. We ride a pretty good mix of trails, powerlines, lakes, etc. Any major drawbacks to the 136?

Thanks.. And, while we're at it, Let It Snow!!

XCSPectin'

·
Registered
193 Posts
All I know is that I hope I have it back together and running by then... not sure it will be ready for any WOT quite yet... I am excited to try out my hot dog cooker with some hot pockets or something though!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If I had to guess (which I do) this is what I would predict.

Out of the hole it will probably be pretty even. Your studded short track will likely spin a bit more than the 136x1.25 thanks to the added grunt of the extra 100cc's. The longer track and paddle, along with the heavier rider will help plant the 600 and give it a good launch.

Things will likely stay relatively even for a bit, but as speeds climb the 600 will begin to fall off as the added weight of the long track and the driver begin to become a factor.

In the end I think the 700 will prevail in this one. I should add that I am assuming that the "dragstrip" will be relativly packed down as oppossed to powder.

Alright, my vote is in so once the race happens I expect full feedback!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ShoelessJoe, we'll let you know! The strip could be an issue. Could be a little fluffy out there, which will further hurt me. I'll be checking the course first since I've been surprised by plowed roads out there before. Don't need to hit those at speed if I'm not ready for it!

Did you notice a performance improvement with the V Force? Most people seem to be trying to talk me out of them. Not enough bang for the buck?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
If loose the 600 if packed the 700.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree with xcr440. The hp difference makes the top end advantage to 700. The stock gearing 600 has is what your 700 should be using. If it's close trade sleds, you may find 600 wins outta the hole.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Originally posted by XCSPectinSnow
Did you notice a performance improvement with the V Force? Most people seem to be trying to talk me out of them. Not enough bang for the buck?
It is impossible for me to say. My sled came from the dealer with the pipes and the reeds so I don't have a before and after review of the sled.

It was one of their special project sleads, they do a few a year. When I bought mine there was also a 03 700 in there with pipes, reeds and a different helix but the deal on the 800 was too good. This year they have a SkiDoo XRS 600 that they are tweaking and tuning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, the difference will be the conditions? If both were stock and ridden by 200 lbs riders, there isn't a noticable difference in launch/acceleration until you get the speed up? Is this due to the gearing issue Thinksno mentioned, or is there just not that much of an advantage to having the extra 100 cc's?

I know Rapp (krappana) was planning on being the decided underdog and hoping to have something more to brag about, but all indications are this is too close to call, with conditions most likely being the clincher..

1 week until I pull into the cabin at midnight.. Assuming Rapp gets his leak fixed, and sled back together, we should be able to test these theories out soon!

Thanks for the feedback,
XCSPectin'

·
Registered
225 Posts
watch out for that "white one" thats gonna show up
oh ya our local CO will be out with his radar gun......

·
Registered
193 Posts
Doc if you don't win there is something seriously wrong with your sled or your thumb...
1. I am heavier by 50 lbs.
2. My sled is heavier due to extension (tunnel and rail) as well as 15 more inches of 1.25" fully clipped track.
3. You have 144 picks to my none and 100cc's on me to boot.

This is more than my new reeds and hot dog-cooker can overcome... the only chance I would have is if we are in REALLY loose stuff...

All that said, I am not going to be doing much WOT after just getting everything back together... I need some time to work the kinks out if I do get it running by then... I haven't even started the thing yet this year... in fact it's still in many parts out in the shed (see my gallery for current status)... my hope is that I can get a chance to just get it back together and running this weekend... we shall see how much baby duty I am required to do...

MNXCR might give you a run for your money on a long stretch on that wedge triple... she pulls pretty hard up top... If you can get Bettles to hold his thumb to the bar with his Yami triple he might also give you a run but I don't think mine will give you much challenge after about 100 feet...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to my cousin last night. His dad lives on the lake (where we have the Sleep-In). He said there are only a couple inches on the ground up there right now. If we get some snow he's going to come up with his XCR. He knows the trails better up there so it wouldn't be bad to have him aboard!

As for your insistence on the underdog role, look at the posts. Your stock gearing is better than mine, your longer track and extra Big Macs will help you grip and rip. Hard pack I should have the Edge, but I still might be chasing (spinning vs you grabbing and going). I'm still willing to give it a whirl, assuming we look at the strip and avoid the plowed roads! I'd rather not hit those at 80, assuming some snow hits so they are more than a speed bump.

If you get it together hopefully we get a little time to test it out any way. You might have to ride the 600 SX for us to see what that sucker can do. Bettles sure won't be the one finding out! Sage's year old F5 could cause some problems too.. The more the merrier; if MNXCR wants to stop out I'm all for it!

Hopefully we get some snow in the next week. Those trails are going to be beat to H-E-Double Hockey Sticks with all the charity rides going on next weekend. Might have to dig around and find a few other options. I'll talk to my cousin too for some "local secrets".

Let it snow!!

Doc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts