Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is the deal. I got a new '02 800 XCR triple/triple this year and all of the sudden my good friend and ridding partner's 500 Indy isn't good enough for him. He goes out and gets one of those new Ski Doo REV 800's. After about 300 miles (2-3 outings) we come up to a section of groomed trail that runs right along side a 4,000' runway. It is wide, flat, packed, with no trees. THE TIME HAS COME! I am going to show him what is so special about a 800 triple! Well, we both have a great launch but I have him by a hair (running 192 studs), he is inching back that hair and leads by a foot or two and we both top out at about 110 mph (8,400 rpm). Got the 800 because I wanted to have a fast and reliable (stock) sled. Any simple things I can tweek to get enough to edge out another 1-2 mph?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Those rev's are no slouches. Had the chance to tangle with one more t han once. smae guy. My guess is you were spinning..a lot more than your buddy. Secondly depending on the trail, your stock track a .75 or .8 is at a loss agaist the rev standard 1 or 1.25 track. Assumptions right?
Example on a 150 miles ride I'm ususally 2-8 miles further on my odometer than my buddies 600. Last couple changes helped fix them,. I have no dought my next track will be a min 1" or 1.25.
I had swapped my front wieghts for 62g instead of 60's. It seem to help. The biggest change was the helix..Drop a line if you want more details.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Clutching like gbaronet said. Also a set of aftermarket reeds and aftermarket silencer should add 5-10 hp.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yes the difference in track lug makes a huge advatange. also how was the wieght transfer? if you did spin a lot let the limiter straps out some. you have plenty of power to gear up on the top tooth one or to teeth. I would buy a good clutch kit before i spent a nicole on reeds. a good clutch kit should gain more than enough with a regear he should not touch you on top end. where are you located, I would help you for parts cost only if you were close to me, pm me let me know location

I believe i had put 10-62 with stock primary, and a blue secondary with stock helix. rpms 8300-8500, it might feel slower at 8300, but that is a faster rpm because that is where the power is at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The track is .92" lugs (stock) and I have added 192 1.075" studs. Good point on the weight transfer. I had the scissor stop at the middle setting for the trail ridding. Next time I will let the scissor stop all the way back to ride the track straight line. Has anyone heard of success porting and polishing the intake?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Make sure that you are properly jetted for temp and elevation. I have NEVER seen a Polaris new from the dealer that wasn't jetted to rich. I usually jet for sea level 10-40 degrees F. cause thats 90 percent of my riding. On a cold night i just take it easy. Not hard to do in the dark.

01 XCR is 420 mains, clip in # 2 position for same conditions. Comes from dealer USUALLY with 440 mains and clip in # 3 position. I,ve got the 01 performance service manual so let me know if I can give u any Factory recomendations.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey Kev .. get the manual from the dealer? Part Number?
192 as well, does'nt help until later in the winter when the trails are harder.
Dropping main size is a good idea, just watch for your our conditions.
Polishing just the intake? no I have not. I have see and been told, these things a love a trail port and case port even with the stock pipes.
I don't like getting too wild in the motor and prefer reiablility. There is a lot to be had in clutching and traction alone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
jets, clutching, traction, including suspension set up. Jets and suspension set up are almost free. Don't gear up unless you KNOW you are using ALL of your clutch. clutching can be inexpensive but worth every penny.

Manual for 2001 performance models (500-800 XCSP and 800xcr) is PN 9916689

1 - 8 of 8 Posts