Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is always a chance that the insurance company will total my sled, I was checking out some used inventory at a local dealer while I was there pricing parts. They have an 800 SKS 144" for $2850.00... 3200 miles. It's pretty dirty under the hood, but it doesn't look bad on the outside. I haven't run it yet, I just happen to ask and take a quick look at it. Noticed it has reverse, sidehiller 2 skis, good looking track and lots of rise in the bars with a mountain strap.

My question is this... They say it's a 2003, the build date says 08/02/2002. But it has mechanical reverse. Wasn't '03 the first year of the PERC option? Was mechanical an early thing and they switched to PERC later on in the year?

Just trying to get an idea of what I'd be getting into. Anyone have any info about the 800s ? Good, bad, ugly??

Thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The sled is a 2003 the build date is for the next year production models. As for reliability others on this site say there are issues with the 800 something about the motor shifting during take off do to the power. I know there are many guys here that run the 800 and I havent heard a bad thing from them. And the price is WOW, cant beat that tag one of those out here would go $4,000+.

·
Registered
204 Posts
We have both 700 and 800 SKS's in model year 03. The 700 was updated with the PERC system. It is what the 04 Switchbacks came with. Both of our sleds were bought used. The 800 had 400 miles and I paid $5000 for it in 04. The 700 had 1100 miles and we paid $3950 this fall. The 700 also came with a extra 2" x 144" track. As mentioned the 800's have had some crank bearing issues. Some will tell you no problems, others say at 2500 miles expect problems. There are many companies that will upgrade the crank bearing with a larger one to prevent problems. I have not yet done the bearing update, but I am considering pulling the motor out this spring and sending the case and crank in for the update. From my searches, about $200 will cover the upgrade. We are flatlanders and always ran 121" tracked sleds, I just love how the SKS's with 144" run and handle. I dont think you will be disapointed at owning one. Good luck and let me know if you buy it.

[attachment=13831]

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
The SKS and RMK's for some reason always are a year behind for the goodies that the 121's have. I have no idea why, but if you look back at body changes, the 121's get the new body style, while the RMK/SKS for that year have the old style.

Brad

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
A little dirt under the hood means nothing if the sled runs mint. PERC only came in the 800 Escape of that year, was the test mule so to speak. Better buy it quick, or else someone will get a better deal than you did.

·
Registered
511 Posts
sounds like a pretty good deal, see if the dealer will let you "test drive" it or at least go through some of the major stuff and check it out. Also see if you can get the original owners name and get info on it from him/her.

Then see how bad he really wants to get rid of it and try to get him down some more!!!!lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im looking into buying an sks 800, its and 03 and it has 2500 miles on it, the owner is asking 2500 for it and i thought it to be very reasonable. But after reading the reply about the crank bearing going in the sks 03's im hesistant and was wondering what should i do?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
If you buy the 800 have no fear, someone on here should remember the company, they make a stronger crank bearing that will fix some of the crank problems.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^

The SLP Tough Boy Kit.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Buy the sled and get someone to put in different crank bearings. For that kind of deal you would be stupid to pass it up. They are great sleds with awsome power.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Since you guys are talking about it...I found and 03 sks 800 with 3,050 miles on it and I had the guy at $3450...is that too much for it or what...I might be able to get him down another hundred or so but what do you guys think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts