Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put 23/40 gears in my sled, which are good for over 110mph but my sled does about 80 at 7900rpms and thats it.

I had 56.5 gram weights and a red spring in my primary, but changed that to 63.5g with the orange/black spring and am still having the same results. My secondary has a red/white spring which isnt stock, and the rollers are junk on it I just found out last night when I pulled it off, one is very hard to roll. and its got the stock helix. Running an 020 AC belt and deflection looks perfect. Anyone have any ideas why my top speed is so low?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
How do you know said gearing is good for 110mph? What conditions were you running it in? 80mph on speedo or GPS?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i used a few different gearing calculators and they all come up with just over 120 at max overdrive. Everytime I try it is on flat straight groomed trail. and 80 on the speedo not gps

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Gear calculators are a theoretical value based on ideal conditions, which are never realistic.

The gear calculator I have says my SnoPro is currently geared for 97 MPH. In actuality, I can pull 85 MPH on HARD pack snow, 75-80 MPH in fields and such that have 8+ inches of snow in them. It's the nature of the beast.

In your case, I would look into your clutches. Make sure they are good and clean, everything operates/rotates as it should, and that they shift out all the way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quinlan said:
Gear calculators are a theoretical value based on ideal conditions, which are never realistic.

The gear calculator I have says my SnoPro is currently geared for 97 MPH. In actuality, I can pull 85 MPH on HARD pack snow, 75-80 MPH in fields and such that have 8+ inches of snow in them. It's the nature of the beast.

In your case, I would look into your clutches. Make sure they are good and clean, everything operates/rotates as it should, and that they shift out all the way.
Yeah ill be replacing rollers and washers in the secondary, otherwise the primarys brand new this year, just put a brand new belt on it yesterday, broke it in properly and swapped from my 23/40s to 20/39s and hit 90 at 7800 on a smooth straight groomed trail. that seems about right for thos gears but why the same or less speed with the bigger gears, that makes no sense to me

·
Registered
610 Posts
If the secondary can't fully open up because of the rollers, then that would cause your issue. Take your sled for a spin after that and it should be much better. Let us know either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts