Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 F7 is only reaching 78mph and staying at that speed. RPMs are running high but it dosnt seem it's going through all it's stages to get me my max speed. It has a secondary clutch and I just put a new belt on. Don't understand why it only stays at 78 and the engine just seems it's whining out and not giving full potential.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My 03 F7 is only reaching 78mph and staying at that speed. RPMs are running high but it dosnt seem it's going through all it's stages to get me my max speed. It has a secondary clutch and I just put a new belt on. Don't understand why it only stays at 78 and the engine just seems it's whining out and not giving full potential.
Ya seems like a clutch issue. maybe check the wear on the clutch weights, check the rollers also to make sure the weights are rolling as it closes up.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Are you positive you bought the correct belt when you put the new one on?

1,792 Posts
You didn't say how many miles are on it. But if you have 5k miles, it's past due for you to go through and rebuild/replace the primary/secondary clutches (and replace all drive and idler bearings - while I'm mentioning miles.) And what he said on correct belt. Don't trust the prior owner put the correct belt on - make sure it's the right belt - check the manual or ask the dealer what belt your sled uses. Check/replace the plugs/wires if needed. A lot of people change plugs every other season, if not every season. If that doesn't solve it, check fuel delivery and check compression.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
After you double check the belt size. Take a look at your clutch weights specifically. The bushings in the weights like to wear out and the weights will fly out a little sideways and rub against the spider assembly in the clutch, prohibiting full shift out. And usually if this is the case then a lot of other clutch parts will be worn out too. The clutch weights are a good visual indicator, but if they look fine, it doesn't necessarily mean the problem isn't clutch related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts