Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off hand does anyone know the specific ft/lbs that I need to torque down my cylinders to the crankcase? And how exactly can you torque it with such little room? You can't get a torque wrench in there. You have to use a boxed end / open end wrench. Thanks!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Tighten the head to cylinders before tightening base nuts. Two bad things can happen if you don't, coolant leak into engine and base bolt ears break off. I also recommend you use the Polaris metal base gaskets, not the paper ones.

20104362039713_9003.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
30-34 ft.lb.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. I bought a gasket kit but I'm not sure if it was the paper or metal. Well I'm glad I asked before I started putting it back together. Thanks I appreciate the information!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinksno said:
Tighten the head to cylinders before tightening base nuts. Two bad things can happen if you don't, coolant leak into engine and base bolt ears break off. I also recommend you use the Polaris metal base gaskets, not the paper ones.

20104362039713_9003.jpg
Do the paper gaskets not last very long?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Mrpipps45 said:
Thinksno said:

20104362039713_9003.jpg
You get what you pay for

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/quote]
[/quote]

You get what you pay for

[/quote]

That doesn't help me a whole lot. I know they do fine in small motors such as a push lawn mower etc.. but that's kinda why I'm asking which is better. I have both, and I would rather not put it back together until I know for sure.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xcr_racing said:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0134/ I love this thing for the base nuts best few dollars I ever spent
I've never seen anything like that actually. Looks pretty handy. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Metal gaskets with rubber coating is best. They are stronger with almost zero chance of blow out. They can leak but paper ones can move out of position, also they are reusable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. The metal is probably the way I'm going to go. I'd rather not take the chance of it moving or breaking. Thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts