Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. As I said in my other threads, I'm new to the game and own a 2003 Polaris Vertical Escape. I'm trying to get all the NEW SLED bugs taken care of and after a new clutch and two other Polaris call backs I am still stuck with a new sled that OVER-HEATS.
I've already heard the "you must be driving like an old lady" solutions, but, I'm not willing to settle with that. I'm not a pro rider and if I were I would still want a sled that would stay cool while I was riding a trail with my grandmother ahead of me.

ARE THERE OTHER VERTICAL ESCAPE OWNERS OUT THERE WITH THIS PROBLEM?

I'm riding down a road that has enough snow on it that you could scoop up snow with your hands -- but by no means would you say there is a ton of snow on the ground. On this road, doing about 20 MPH and a little stop and go, I would over-heat after about 2 miles. IT ALSO OVER-HEATS at faster speeds and in deep pow.

The dealer rejetted, did the fuel pump move fix and installed scratchers and they thought that would do the trick for me. It still OVER-HEATS.

Bottomline... I think in an effort to save weight they made the radiator too small. What do you guys think? And what do you think I should do about it. I need to resolve this problem immediately.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
if the sled is new i would take it back who ever u got it from. a brand new machine should not overheat. take it back and have them fix it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did take it back to the dealer. I thought I should get some ideas of what they should do to fix it before I took it back to the dealer again. Any fix suggestions?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i dought it has anything to do with your radiator being to small..id try flushing the whole system and filling her up again,never know..id bring it to the dealer and tell him to figure out whats wrong with it..its probably just something stupid

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Sounds like a circulation problem to me. Bleed the system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Within the first 5 miles the sled over-heats. Before the hot light comes on it starts to run poorly, loses power and starts sounding bad. When the light comes on I kill the engine, turn it back in the direction of my truck and wait for it to cool down. I shovel snow on the rail and hold snow on the radiator until it cools. After that it will go for about 1/2 mile before it needs to be done again. I do that all the way back to my truck.
I'm riding with other big sleds of different makes and none of them are over-heating. Also, from these pictures it is clear that it's getting cooling snow where it needs it, so... that's not the problem. Also you can see that the radiator is getting hot coolant from the engine, so, it is flowing.

/snofan/../images/users/JRO/Polaris 03 Vertical Escape OVER HEATING 02.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/JRO/Polaris 03 Vertical Escape OVER HEATING 09.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/JRO/Polaris 03 Vertical Escape OVER HEATING 06.jpg

Maybe the problem is that the engine is making way too much heat rather than the cooling system not working. Is that possible?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I have to believe its coolant related. Air bubble, or something. I like the idea of completely flushing the system. This would also make sure there wasn't anything solid in there. Then put fresh coolant in, and bleed properly.

THE DEALER SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF THIS!!!!! ITS A BRAND NEW SLED.......WARRENTY.......DONT TAKE THIS CRAP FROM THEM! THEY NEED TO FIX THIS AND FIX IT RIGHT!!!! AND BY "RIGHT", I MEAN THEY FIX IT AND THEN THEY TAKE IT OUT AND DRIVE IT FOR A GOOD PERIOD OF TIME IN VARYING CONDITIONS TO ENSURE ITS FIXED COMPLETEY!!!!!

Sorry for the yelling, but these guys have been jerking you around for a while now. Your the guy that has had this problem for a while now right? And you live hours from your dealer correct? If your the same guy.....I re-iterate......Dont take this from them! You spent a lot of money on a new sled. It is your RIGHT to have it run and operate correctly!

Please keep us updated on this one.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
lift the front of the machine off the ground, like loading on a trailer, and let it run for a few minutes at that angle recheck water level, the reason for this is air might be traped in the rear exhanger becuase of the angle, there is a retard in the system, once it senses water is so warm it retards timing so you have to slow down, if you keep pushing it the light comes on and then it really drops.

you can also have your dealer check the tps. they should have this bug out by now but if it is set wrong you will over heat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the idea of completely flushing the system. This would also make sure there wasn't anything solid in there. Then put fresh coolant in, and bleed properly.

lift the front of the machine off the ground, like loading on a trailer, and let it run for a few minutes at that angle recheck water level, the reason for this is air might be traped in the rear exhanger becuase of the angle

Did all that... no help.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I understand this has all been done before. But the bottom line is, your sled isn't working the way it should. It's brand new, and has a warrenty. It sounds like the ball's in your court. If you let your dealer get away with this. Its as much your fault as theirs. They'll end up doing it to someone else if they can get away with it.

I'm not trying to sound condesending here. It just bothers me to hear of a guy that spends all this money on a toy, too not have it work properly. Then to have the dealer say "they've done all they can do"!?! Hell, go over their heads, and call Polaris directly.....rattle some cages. Its too bad that you have to do this, but if you don't, you're going to be stuck with a sled you can't use. The choice is up to you man.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with the airlock problem. Try bleeding the system, sounds like an air bubble somewhere in you cooling system.

I'm sad to hear another story about someone having problems with a dealer. You would think that they would strive for great customer service. After all how many other business do you know where a customer will buy a $5000 to $9000 item without a test ride or in some cases never even sitting on it.

Snowmachiners are some of the most trusting customers out there and we should be taken care of. If your dealer can not or will not take care of your problem then try taking it to another one. Power Sports of Alaska is one of the top selling dealers in the country but they have one of the worse service records, once you buy the machine you have to fight to get anything fixed. They were sold last year so hopefully there service has improved. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
246 Posts
BTW - Nice machine you will love it once your problem is taken care of.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If it were my sled, I'd have that baby back at the shop where I bought it from & tell them to either fix it, or give me another sled.
I can't believe that the shop told you to come back and give them ideas, that's unacceptable.
If you just can't get any satisfaction from the dealer, call Polaris Industries directly there in Minnesota & complain, and I guarantee you'll have a fixed or a brand new sled in a hot hurry. They don't like to hear about their dealers yanking loyal customers around, and dealerships can be taken away. Word of mouth is a powerful thing, and they know it.
A new sled should behave like a new sled, and you shouldn't have to do anything but put gas & oil in that baby for many miles. It's the dealerships' responsibility to make things right, NOT yours!

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah it sounds like there is a air bubble in the water curcuit. just flush it and bleed it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Also - check your water pump belt... maybe it's loose and slipping around the water pump pulley.
You could have a weak water pump on there too, I guess, but again, the dealership should be the one checking this out.
I had a real time with mine overheating, I raised the front end and raised the lever on the pressure cap so it could breathe... took about 5 - 10 minutes before it finally burped a BUNCH of air out of the system, and that solved my problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your help guys. I'm not having a problem with the Polaris dealer at all. Sorry if I gave you that impression. I just think it's best to know what needs to be done before I give it to someone else to fix. (Never ask a question... unless you know the answer). It's not the dealers fault that his shop is 2.5 hours from my house and that there are no Polaris shops closer. In fact, just yesterday, I called him just before I was leaving for his shop. We talked about the problem over the phone and he offered to drive up so he could see the problem first hand. I met him in the sled parking lot this morning after he drove the 2.5 hours. He brought his 03 Vertical Escape and a friend who had a 02 Vertical Escape. He figured that the problem was something that he could fix on the spot. He and his buddy are pro sledders. So there I am, with only 3 bad days of sledding under my belt, and we take off for a ride. Just riding with these guys was a great learning experience. When my sled would start acting up we would stop and they would try different things to fix it. We must have stopped 10 times. The bottom line is that they were not able to figure out what the problem was and could not fix it on the spot as they hoped. I need to get it to his shop anyway, but, we had a great day of sledding between down times. It was a picture perfect sunny day, the snow was great and I was riding with pro's. I saw them do stuff that I have only seen in x-scream videos. I did stuff that I didn't think I would be able to do for many many sled days. I've got the "high mark" fever. I'm sorry I did not take my camera. They were going up stuff so steep, that if I did not see it, I would say it was impossible. I could make it up to mid point and sometimes higher but I didn't have the experience to keep it going. Hell, sledding down these steeps was a huge panic the first few times. So, it was a great day and I just want you guys to know that I don't have any complaints against the dealer. Sometimes problems are not that easy to figure out, but, I think this dealer will get to the bottom of it for me. BTW, they did everything suggested in this thread, and more, without success. They will rip it apart in their shop this week.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hellva dealer to come out and offer a hand. He's certianly working with you and now seen the problem first hand.
Best of luck..

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Ah, ha. For some reason I was under the impression that you had brought your sled to the dealer before for this problem, they "fixed it" and you got it back only to find the same over heating problem arise again. Then they told you to come up with some ideas on their own. My misunderstanding.

Now it sounds like you've got yourself a great dealer. Any dealer that comes 2.5hrs TO YOU is one to stay with! Glad to hear it, and here's hoping they can fix it soon so you're back on the trails.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I would definately look at the air lock problem, had the same thing happen to me on my T-Cat first ride of the season. Must have had an air bubble in the tunnel portion, cause it just wouldn't cool the sled. Wasted 1/2 a day of beautiful riding. Got back to the parking lot ran motor added anti-freeze water mix. Something you need to pay attention to. The fill bottle will look full until you start and run the motor. Fill it with the motor running. I have also heard of lifting the front of the sled at a 45 degree angle so that the air can escape.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts