Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 03 pro-x chassis that was a 440 and was converted for a 700. it has a 136" by 1 3/4" track. i bought a original 440 setup for the sled and am in the process of finishing putting it all together. i just have a few questions:

1. will it be ok turning the 136" track? how does porting the track affect it? (how well does the track stay together, is it worth it?)

2. what gearing should be good to use? i was thinking of whatever gearing is in the performance book for topping out at around 95. (i own most of the performance polaris books from 1999 to 2005).

3. any secret tricks/tips to make this quick? clutching setups, mods, etc.

4. has anyone tried porting one of these 440 motors? i have a great guy who does amazing porting on all kinds of two strokes and just wondering if there is anything to gain out of these motors.

now i know many of you will probably say just go get a 600 or 700 or something and put it in there but i like the 440's and really don't want to throw in a bigger motor (dont need to spend the extra money). i like the 440's and think they have plenty of power for what i need right now.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
1. It'll be OK. This will tie into #2 though, as you won't have a high top speed.

2. IIRC the racer was geared at something like 19/42. I would gear it for 80-85 at 1:1. I think that'll be like 20-22 on top?

3. the stock clutch setup is pretty good on the 440's.

4. I'd take the cylinders and crankcase to him and have him check it out. The 440 porting is pretty good but there is always cleanup that can be done.

On the 03 it should be easy to put on oil injection. I would recommend doing that at least. And a tempaflow so that you don't have to stay on top of jetting.

·
Registered
591 Posts
if it is a fan cooled, throw that thing as far as you can. I spent a whole winter on it, and still could not stop making it bog.

·
Registered
584 Posts
gto0209 said:
if it is a fan cooled, throw that thing as far as you can. I spent a whole winter on it, and still could not stop making it bog.
^^ he is right! me and gto went riding once and he got stuck in a ditch, we got it unstuck but it wouldnt get up the ditch to get to the road, it just kept bogging down. and hes had problems with it since he bought it...

·
Registered
591 Posts
fox440 said:
gto0209 said:
^^ he is right! me and gto went riding once and he got stuck in a ditch, we got it unstuck but it wouldnt get up the ditch to get to the road, it just kept bogging down. and hes had problems with it since he bought it...
got rid of it long ago, felt so good getting rid of it, so many bad memories associated with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no its the liquid. just wanna see if anyone knows any secret tricks they would be willing to reveal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts