Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Hope some of you mountian riders will chime in on this one. I am currently looking at a 03 RMK Vertical Edge 800 151' snow check edition. The sled has 1500miles on it, and far as I know is stock excpet a MBRP can. I've been trying to get some more info on these sleds and from what I gathered:

1. These 800s can be prone to crank bearring failure?
2. You can take the VIN # to the dealer to see what updates there are for these sleds or what updates have been done to it?
3. The VES can fail if they are the stock ones. Should be updated to the titaminium ones?
4. Is there anything in particular that I should look on this sled or ask about? Thanks guys.
20071113171322919_7247.jpg

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Check the motor mounts and the carb boots. Sometime the motor mounts brake and then you have real trouble, sometimes it isn't so bad and the clutching is just out of alignment, but it can cause the motor to blow.easiest was to check the mounts to grab hold of the clutch and just lift up on it, there shouldn't be any give, if there is then the mount could be broken or just a lose mounting bolt. As for the carb boots look and see if they are cracked, if they are then it can injest snow and cause a melt down as well. They can crack over time and also crack if the motor has been moving around because of a broken motor mount.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
the 800 is very prone to crank failure. There is a really good post on SnoWest.com regarding it, posted by Indydan (Indy Specialty). Having a wider bearing helps, as does an engine plate, torque link, and push stop. Also, checking the cases for spec is very important. My 2004 800 case was out, and crank was gone, just replaced it this summer. A buddy I ride with with a 2002 800, same issues with the crank, his case was ok. Cranks are 950 bucks (OUCH). Getting the primary clutch balanced seems to be one of the biggest things you can do to keep these engines from failing.

You should be able to get recall info from the dealer. There are also other updates that your dealer may or may not be willing to share.

They don't make titanium VES valves any more. You will get stainless when you order. There is very limited water jacket around the area of the VES valve, and that has caused some of the old stock aluminum ones to melt. The lucky guys have the parts go out the exhaust, the unlucky ones suck the parts into the cylinder and does serious damage. It's worth changing. Also, get the new bellows and probably a new spring, there are different colored springs for different elevations.

That's the bad news. The good news is they climb really well and are a blast to run. Stock is about 134 hp, putting on the SLP air horn modification, a couple of flow-rites and an SLP single pipe will put you up to around 150 with no loss of reliability. Plus, you lose about 10 lbs of weight with the exchange.

Good luck in the decision!
My 2004 has the 151", the 2002 has a 144". For straight up climbing, the 151" climbs a bit easier, but in the trees, I like the 144". It is easier to turn.

·
Registered
431 Posts
So basically it would seem that you could possibly sink upwards of $1500 bucks before you even get the machine onto snow for the start of the season. Seems a little pricey to me, but if the machine is a good price, and you know how do all of the wrench work yourself, it sounds as if it would work out alright.

Good luck with the sled!

Tyler

1 - 4 of 4 Posts