Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an 03 sxviper 700 and when when you're riding the sled and holding it from 4 to 5500 rpms it seems like it's getting too much fuel and almost missing. I checked the spark by pulling the plugs and pulling it over and everyone of my plugs has good spark. I also checked the compression on each of the cylinders and that was fine. I leaned the mix screw under the carbs to 2-1/2 off of a light seat ( i know the standard is 1-7/8). I have put a new fuel filter in it yesterday,blew out the fuel lines, cleaned the carbs again and ran it for a few miles and the problem is still there. I have taken the carbs off about 6 times now and pulled the fuel lines to see if anything may have been in the fuel lines. Nothing was in there and they were clean. but today when i pulled the carbs nothing was in there but it is still having that problem... I blew the fuel lines out with compressed air and they were clean so they are not breaking down. the only thing that i havent done is put seafoam in the sled. does anybody have an idea of what this could be. I just bought the sled last week just to see if there were any problems that i could address before next season and i found one i guess. please help if you have any other ideas.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What do you mean its getting too much fuel and almost missing?? Does it bog down? How many miles are on it?? keep in mind that RPM range is right before the power valves open up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was running rich and it wasn't running smooth. It was making a sound like it was missing. I dunno maybe that's the way the triples sound. but when you looked in the air box, you could see puddles in it and gas and oil shooting into it. but the thing runs like a top when you open the sled up. I have never owned a triple before (only twins) and i have never owned a sled with powervalves.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, there should not be gas in the air box. I would check your floats to make sure they are moving up and down correctly with no catches. I would also stick with the stock air fuel mixture screw adjustment unless your riding in the mountains. If it has a lot of miles make sure that no one messed with the carbs and they are in sink. The only only thing that concerns me is that their is a puddle of fuel in the air box. Did you try cleaning it out and seeing how fast the fuel returns to the airbox?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i cleaned the air box out and got everything back together, took it out in the field, maybe got 1/2 mile on it and you could tell it was running rich again, took the foam off the top of the airbox, and you could see stuff shooting back into the box. floats seemed to be alright, they were moving freely. don't know if the previous owner played with the carbs at all or not. i saw when i first took off the carbs that one of those set screws was missing the o ring, but i got and put a new one on so everything is in check as far as that's concerned. I'm thinking that if i didn't get it this time i will get a manual for it, but i was going to try to put seafoam in there tomorrow and see if that works. as far as the plugs are concerned they are still a brown color (not white) even after leaning out the air/fuel mix screws. So i was just going to try the seafoam. cause honestly i'm out of ideas. lol

I mean this thing was running so rich that it would burn your nose.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, Did you check the hole for the o ring?? Sometimes the o rings will stay in the hole and you have to fish them out with a toothpick or something. That is probably why you are running lean. There are two orings in the air fuel mixture hole.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah there was a rubber o ring and a brass o ring. got them both. I spoke with a yamaha tech today and he said my problem was pretty uncommon.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yea, as long as you got them out of the hole then you should be good Their is also a spring on the screw or should be I believe. I don't know what else it could be other than improper jetting. Good luck try totallyamaha.net for a free manual. Also, ask those guys they might have some idea's.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yep, Good luck, Let me know how it goes and if the seafoam helps. Happy sledding!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no dice! don't know what else to do for it. I drove it over to a shop about 6 miles away, started it up, and they could tell something was wrong the minute i started it back up and that flutter was still there. turns out that they called me later and said that the slides were out of sync. i cant believe that i never thought to check them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, at least you got the problem fixed! Should run great for a long time. I love my viper, from 40 to 100 it pulls. Hopefully that fixed the problem with the fuel in the air box too. Have fun riding, hope the rest of the season is trouble free!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BAMT700 said:
Well, at least you got the problem fixed! Should run great for a long time. I love my viper, from 40 to 100 it pulls. Hopefully that fixed the problem with the fuel in the air box too. Have fun riding, hope the rest of the season is trouble free!
Lol that wasn't the problem either! Turns out that i ended up getting a manual and whadda ya know, i ended up going a size down in my main jet from a 156.3 to a 153.8 Runs perfect!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts