Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 XC 600 SP. Awesome running sled. I've got about 400 miles on it which now accumulates to roughly 1450 miles total on the sled. My question is: has anyone had an issue with the warm idle on these things? When the sled is cold, it idles about 2400 rpm...I know that is a little high, but I only let it idle until the heat exchangers have some heat in them and then take it easy on it for a few miles, then go to normal throttle. When I come to a stop, the sled idles at about 3700 rpms...right below the point of clutch engagement. The only way to get it back down to the 2400 rpm idle, I have to blurp the throttle wide open, then it's fine until the next time I come to a stop.
My buddy I ride with (REV 800)says he has the same problem as well, but it idles down by itself after a few seconds. He told me it's because as the sled is coming to a stop, engine is still vacuuming for more fuel, and needs to burn it.
Has anyone heard or dealt with this problem? I've owned several Indy's, and they never seemed to be this bad.
Any help is much appreciated.
-Justin

·
Registered
102 Posts
When you first come to a stop, the pipes are still hot and the engine is still vacuming like your friend said. So it should idle high for a few second, then slow down. Did you try backing out your idle screws on the carbs a bit? Im not sure the specs for your sled but 2400 sounds a bit high. When you come to a stop it should probably be at like 2500 to 3000, then drop to like 1800 after a few seconds. If adjusting the idle screw doesn't help, you may have to adjust the slides down by adjusting the trottle cable adjusters on top of the carbs. Synchronizing the carbs to the stock specs is the easiest way to make sure the cables are adjusted correctly. Try the idle screws first though.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks a lot for the input...the guy that I bought it from said that it did that for him too only when it was really cold out (lower than +15*F). I was going to try adjusting the idle screws first, but he told me that last spring he had just had the carburetors synchronized...that's what made me ask before doing. I'll try it and reply by next week.
Again, thank you for your input.
-Justin

·
Registered
700 Posts
opening the choke half way for a few seconds will always idle them down. I do it when mine is warming up to get it to idle down. I dont feel like letting it sit there at high rpms overheating my primary shaft and making weak spots in the belt

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
did you get the perc reverse kit yet?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boss, I've been doing that too, but mine does it all the time. I'm hoping that adjusting the idle screws out a little bit will help.
poo, no I didn't, I looked them up on ebay, about $350...funny thing is I forgot where I saw it, but the roller secondary for the edge was like $200...Like you said, it's well worth it. I'm probably going to be doing the perc in spring, seeing how I leave my sled up north, and don't feel like dragging it 225 mi. through a big salt wash to work on it.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Originally posted by TrailRebel
[br]poo, no I didn't, I looked them up on ebay, about $350...funny thing is I forgot where I saw it, but the roller secondary for the edge was like $200.
MikMart701 sells the PERC kits on eBay for $324.95 starting bids, or $335.00 Buy It Now in his store. Figures out to be about $350 either way you look at it. I just picked one up yesterday from him. Should be here Thursday. Hoping it's an easy install.

Okay, I'm done hijacking your thread now. [:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts