Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all; I just got back from Anchorage's winter sports show and have decided (well, almost) on a new 03 Mountain Max for my next sled. Before I go and invest 5400 dollars I wanted to see from all of you what your thoughts are on this sled, either by owning one, seeing one, etc. Any help?! Thanx in advance.[:D]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Its not the most powerful 700 out there but it is a good dependable sled. Cord will treat you right. for another grand you will have a really nice mountain sled. I ride with guys who swear by the 700 tripple with pipes and some clutch work they perform pretty good. I've seen them turn a 156 x 2 just fine. They don't have a lot of mid range but keep it on the pipe and they work just fine. (How was the show I had to go to fairbanks over the weekend and missed it)

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I guess yammahas are not very popular in our area but the people that have them seem to like and are a good reliable sled, especialy the new ones..

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx all, the show was good. Turns out I may be able to get a 2002 Ski-Doo Summit 800 for REAL cheap, but we'll see. Yeah, not too many Yami's in our area, I agree.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OH CRAP...just remembered, I'd have to change my user name!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The 800 Summit is a real nice machine needs a riser for a guy my size but it is a great powder sled. If you ride a lot of bumpy trails the only kind we have here the Yamaha is better for that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My riding buddy has a 00 Max. He threw some bender pipes on it and oh boy she runs. He plans to add a new head and carbon reeds here soon. I recommend the Max or Viper. . of course cause I ride a Viper . . .

G

·
I ride with a guy riding a Yammy MM. He installed a 1024 big bore from Union Bay and a 159" track. It is the most powerful sled I have ever seen. Way to much for me.

D

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SWEET...Thanx again!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a good sled, but if you are looking for some real perfomance then I would look elsewhere. The 141 track is little to small and the sled is starting to get dated compared to the other sleds out there. The 700 is a good little motor but your going to need to dump another $600-$700 into it to make it run with any of the 700 twins. Some people run the triple pipes and love them, others fight with them. One thing is for sure your going to need to be on the pipe to make it go.

For my money I would look in the paper and steel a nice 700 twin from someone (with a 144 track or a 151 track) or I would go get a new Mountain Cat 800 from Anchorage Suzuki for $7200. I know it's $1800 more but EFI is very nice and it will run a bit harder with room to grow. Make sure you get a 1m, the old 2002 chassis isn't near as good.

If you just want a good sled that will start and run without problems the yamaha is a better setup, but it won't compete with the newer 700-800 twins on the hill.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stay away from the 2002 800 summit. They have ring problems, fuel milage problems, carb calibration issues and other issues. Go over to snowest.com and read about the zillions of people going though rings every 300 miles.

G

·
I have not read up on the 2002 800 summit. I ride a 2002 700 Summit with 151 track. This has been a wonderful sled but has had some little stuff I didn't like. Factory jetting way to rich. Uses lots of gas. Uses lots of oil. By the end of the first season I had 1200 trouble free miles and had the oil and fuel problems worked out.

D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts