Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have saved and saved and I really would like to buy a 440 racer. I like the cats the best. I am going to have to buy one used, and trail convert it my self.

Q:What are some things that I should look at to tell if the sled has been beat. I know obvious stuff like cracks and what not, but is there things that I really have to pay attention to?

Q: Besides the bigger tank, what else do I have to do to trail convert it? Links to places were I can get the parts would be great. I would like to run it off pump gas. (89-93 octane)

Q: Do the 04-06 racers have oil injection or are they pre mix? If they aren't oil injection, is there any way to put oil injection in myself.

I am a pretty good mechanic in general, so unless I need some special hi tech tool I plan to do the work my self. Thank you in advance for the help it will be very appreciated.

Will

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i wouldnt be concerned with hood cracks or scratches, just check for cracks in suspension parts or bends they are premix.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Just check for overall condition of the sled like you would any other but check stress points of the chassis for cracks and the suspension for loose or missing bolts check the track lugs and engine compression, you will need to convert it to oil injection it can be done(I did it on my 03)on an 04 you will need to find a place to mount an oil tank it will not fit like the 03s behind the steering coloum! Im not sure where to buy a bigger gas tank for it? And replace the heads for pump gas 02 sno pro heads should work, oh yeah ask when the shocks were last rebuilt!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for all the help. How much is it to add fuel injection?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Here is everything you will ever need to know, and if you are that serious in doing this, read all 45 pages at least once if not twice. There is ALL the information you need you do all kinds of things.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83383

Things you might want to do are

pump heads, either from the 02 sno pro or speedwerxs

reprogram CDI if you go with the 02 heads

rear cooling system (Either f-cat style or U-cooler)

jetting, clutching, and I think gearing

Oil injection (If you want to) from an f5 motor (I believe thats it, there may be more?) along with mounting a oil reservoir
Or the oil plate block off mod

I have not heard of adding fuel injection to a 440, I think you would have to buy a f5, f6 etc... motor with EFI on it

Choke cable (optional)

bigger tank

There may be some things I am missing. Just read everything and it should give you a very good idea if this is something you really want to do.

Edit: also as far as sled condition, look for chips and dents on the spindles and A-arms as well as cracks and condition of the tunnel.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is perfect thank you guys for all of the help. I figure that I can get one for 5000 and then 1500 for the conversion. 6500 total is still cheaper than a nice leftover 06 F7 which is my other choice. What do you guys think. I would put a 136 on the F right away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts