Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how often do the 440's blow up. i know they arnt a trail sled by anymeans but if its still set up for racing and still running 110 are there ways to make it so that it wont blow up all the time if i just wanna ditch bang around town?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Not to Familiar with the 440's... my best guess is that they tend to 'blow up' more on average because they are only a 440 and are being run harder at WOT all the time by owners who aren't getting enough speed out of them.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Run the proper fuel/jets, don't overheat it, and don't hold it WOT for long distances and it shouldn't be very problematic. Lots of guys trail the 440's.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i wanted to convert it what would i have to get like low comp heads and jetting and some more coolers. anything else?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
It depends on what level you want to trail convert it. If you wanted a complete trail conversion, you would be looking at low compression heads, appropriate jetting, upgraded cooling, large fuel tank, and oil injection. All of this runs an easy $1000+. You can do without some things, like the large fuel tank and oil injection, and save yourself a few dollars in the scheme of things.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i knew about the larger fuel tank and oil inkection but i wont be going far enough away from town for it to be a real pain. so i could go without those things but how much will heads, jetting, and cooling run for.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
You can still get trail heads for them from Speedwerx, I believe they are around $400. You can also run 02-03 SnoPro 440 heads on them if you can find a used set.

Jetting is cheap in the scheme of things...not a big deal.

Cooling is up to you. Alot of guys are running a cheap, yet effective cooling system. They simply mount a 02 SnoPro 440 heat exchanger on top of the air box and plumb it into the existing cooling system. There is enough airflow through the hood to help cool the system. Shouldn't cost you any more than $100 for the exchanger, hoses, clamps, etc.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Also you could always try to find a 500/600/700 motor and put the trail motors in the race chassis.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i heard the 440/700 converstion is nasty but i have heard of that type of cooling so thats what ill probably do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts