Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my tactical MK-99 (US version of AK-47) 7.62x39 for a 04 Pro-XR 440 liquid & $700. It's in pieces but 90% of it is there. Motor recently rebuilt, all Walker Evans need a rebuild, no track, & missing some odds & ends. Here are some questions I have:

Is the skid the same as my 03 Pro-X 8? If not, how are they different?
Are the trailing arms the same?
Are the engine mounts the same? If not, re-drill?
Will my 800 secondary match up w/ the XR jack shaft?
Will my large tank work on the XR &
Is the XR 800 console for a uncut hood? If not, can I chop up my extra hood or are there differences?
Is the XR timing control box compatible with the 800?
Will the 440 heat exchangers be sufficient for the 800?
Would it be worth building it up as a 440 & keep the 800 in it's chassis? How fast are these 440s?

I'll get pictures soon, my camera was borrowed. All help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
a trail tank will work, but it looks dumb. you also have to move the seat back a tad. the chaincase will have snocross gears in it, so you will have to change that.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
skid is different, the rails have different part numbers
trailing arms are different
motor mounts are the same

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bigz said:
this is what the sled looks like with the trail tank
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRjMiwn56cU
I was thinking it would come out like the XR 800 if i bought the console. Is the XR 800 set up differently? I's all good, I'll just replace my 440 console (mine is garbage). I am looking at your XR & it's super clean. Did you buy it new? Those are the only stock decals I'd leave on(I always strip stock decals), too bad my hood is all messed up. I could always paint & slap the decals on.

Anyone know where to get stock XR 440 decals??

·
Registered
89 Posts
the tank is off a regular edge. but with the true xr racer, you have the bar that holds the steering post which blocks the tank from going furthar foward. the xr has the overhead steering which is where the steering post goes to the side of the engine. also this gave the sled a more rider forward feeling. i have also heard that you can not take a regular edge hood and use it for the true xr. i dont know what the consumer xr's hood looks like though.
i bought the sled used. i traded my quad for it. i just cleaned it up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
hey bigz any offers on that sled?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
MXZ700SKS700 said:
I just traded my tactical MK-99 (US version of AK-47) 7.62x39 for a 04 Pro-XR 440 liquid & $700. It's in pieces but 90% of it is there. Motor recently rebuilt, all Walker Evans need a rebuild, no track, & missing some odds & ends. Here are some questions I have:

Is the skid the same as my 03 Pro-X 8? If not, how are they different?
-XR skid is 14" wide, X is 15" wide. Different rails. [/color=red]
Are the trailing arms the same?
You can make them work, but they are not 100% exact same other than colour[/color=red]
Are the engine mounts the same? If not, re-drill?
440/500/600 use same motor mounts, 700/800 have larger bottom end (thus, "Big Block") and needs the motor mounts to be relocated[/color=red]
Will my 800 secondary match up w/ the XR jack shaft?
Yes [/color=red]
Will my large tank work on the XR?
The large tank (9 gallon) will fit, but it moves the seat back, looks retarded, and the tank sticks out past the flush side of the tunnel, making it awkward to put your feet in the foot rests, most people put a Rev seat/tank on XR's, and they looks sharp with them (especially a mxzx seat)[/color=red]
Is the XR 800 console for a uncut hood? If not, can I chop up my extra hood or are there differences?
the XR 800 is a 2003 Polaris Pro-X 440 racer chassis, it's not the same as the XR 440. [/color=red]
Is the XR timing control box compatible with the 800?
not sure on this one, but I doubt it. [/color=red]
Will the 440 heat exchangers be sufficient for the 800?
They will do the job, but if you ride under low snow conditions, you might run into some overheating often.[/color=red]
Would it be worth building it up as a 440 & keep the 800 in it's chassis? How fast are these 440s?
440's aren't that great for trail, and dont have a lot of torque or off trail. They're not the greatest motor. Put your 800 in it, you have all summer to do so. [/color=red]

I'll get pictures soon, my camera was borrowed. All help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

[thumb][/color=red]

·
Registered
232 Posts
sounds like a good project, yea i agree with jesse on this one the 440s werent very reliable motors, they tended to blow up after so fewer miles than the 800s, so i think the 800 is a good choice.

jesse u really know ur stuff, did u google some of that or what. if not thats impressive.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jesse you were wrong about one thing though, I have dropped the motor in & there were no problems with the mounts. My buddies & I wrenched in the sled until 6am Saturday morning. A few hours just on mock up, we had to modify some things to make them work but so far everything is fitting in. All except for the pipes which I'm thinking were really Gen II pipes but I'm going to ask the questions here first to not be anymore of a post whore, hopefully you guys will still check this post.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 440 XR/800 mod is going well. My 2 buddies & I stayed up until 6am Saturday morning putting it together, we bullshit a lot so we could have done more but we made good progress none the less. Here are some questions I have:

Is the suspension set up differently in the XR opposed to the regular Edge chassis? I ask because the guy I bought my CPI twins from said they were for the Edge chassis but with the cross member the way it is, the pipes don't match up to the stingers. The stock pipe also has the indent in it dropping it down enough to not hit the hood, these twins don't have that so the hood wouldn't fit even if they did mount up.

I just got a 121"x15" track, if the skid is indeed 14" wide, will this track work?

What is the dry weight of the 04 XR 440? I googled it but I didn't find anything.

2010613164755468_2812.jpg
2010613164944343_2812.jpg
2010613165137625_2812.jpg
2010613165324890_2812.jpg

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
? I've been told by many people that the 700/800 needs to be re-drilled with stock motor straps....... And i dont google anything, I have learnt it

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jesse500 said:
? I've been told by many people that the 700/800 needs to be re-drilled with stock motor straps....... And i dont google anything, I have learnt it
Maybe they were talking about a different sled, I say that because it fell right into place. Thankfully too, I love when everything comes together without too much drilling/cutting.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
motor mounts are same part numbers between '04 pro-xr 440 and '03 pro-x 600/700/800. I have no reason to believe they aren't the same. One thing you should definitely check though (to be 110% positive) is center to center distance of the clutches to make sure the belt fits properly.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Nice project... I'v been wanting to do the same thing only with a 98 700 engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts