Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noon today Yamaha realesed there 04 line up, check it out on there website. Buddy of mine snow-checked a RX-1 Warrior, according to his slip it was the second one ordered in the Nation. Looks like they revamped a few of last years sleds, could be interesting....any thoughts????

04 Rx-1 Warrior

/snofan/../images/users/alaskangold/rxwarriorblacklarge_1877.jpg

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Ya but where is there 600s and i thought the Warriour would be maybe a 750 4 stroke,they got a couple great sleds but they need more in there lineup.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
There's a couple of upgrades to the Viper, now called the Viper S. Its got the Ohlin remote resivoir front shocks with clickers, an adjustable rear shock, and a 1.25 inch Camoplast Rip Saw track.

Nothing earth shattering, but still nice non the less.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I dunno, kind of a disappointment, but... the last 2 years yamaha released the viper, then the RX-1 both where pretty much earth shaking in the industry... by the standards of most years, this would be a good year, we got 2 new sleds right? But over the last 2 years we've come to expect revolutionary things. not really a fair expectation.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Maybe I have a biased opinion being Polaris to the bone, and because Polaris hasn't come up w/anything very 'revolutionary' since their switch from GENII to EDGE, but I really don't care for the looks of the new Yamahas. I'd really have to ride one personally to be able to judge, ya know? Its really hard to leave the old styles and move on quickly to all these new styles, i.e. the RX-1's and REV's without seeing and riding them personally to determine for yourself. I do like the new color scheme on the ViperS,althought it's been a while since I've seen Yamahas w/red and black cosmetics. Basically...I'd like to ride these 'industry-changing' sleds and judge personally so I could actually know for myself vs just reading what others think. Or is it just me?

-SEF

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Nope, you're absolutely right. I'm ordering a new sled for the 04' season, and its down to a Viper and a REV 800 RER.

I've never ridden a REV but a local dealer has a demo one anyone can try out. I plan on trying it in a couple of weeks.

As for the Viper, I have ridden one extensively (my brother has one) and love it! The thing handles like its on rails, and has excellent power all the way through. If I went with the Viper I was thinking the Viper S. But I've heard on other forums that you can't stud the track. It comes with a new 1.25 in Rip Saw track. Aparently Yamaha had to remove the front heat exchanger protectors, and tunnel protectors to accomodate it. If this is the case, I'd end up going with the Viper ER.

It will come down to how much I like the REV, and what kind of prices and warrenties I can get on each of the sleds.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
TO:TFIN70---I READ YOUR POST ABOUT CHOOSING BETWEEN A VIPER AND A REV, HERE IS A LITTLE INFO. I HAVE A 01' MXZX800 THAT I ABSOLUTELY LOVE, IT'S MODDED FROM BUMPER TO SNOWFLAP, AND IT FLAT OUT HAULS. I WENT TO THE U.P. WITH A FRIEND OF MINE WITH A 600 H.O. REV AND I GOT ALOT OF SEAT TIME ON IT. THIS PLATFORM WILL ABSOLUTELY CHANGE THE SPORT. IF THE OTHER GUYS ARE GOING TO KEEP UP, THEY WILL HAVE TO FOLLOW SUIT. I COULDN'T DRIVE TO HIS DEALERSHIP AND BUY ONE FAST ENOUGH. I BOUGHT THE MID-SEASON "BLAIR MORGAN EDITION 800 REV X". I'VE ALREADY GOT 500 MILES ON IT AND I CAN HARDLY RIDE A "CONVENTIONAL" SLED ANYMORE. THE REV MAKES YOU A BETTER RIDER WITH LESS FATIGUE. I'VE RODE VIPERS, ITS THE SAME SHIT IN A BLUE WRAPPER. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET SOME SADDLE TIME ON A REV, YOU WON'T FORGET IT ANYTIME SOON.....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Tfin

run the rev and the viper sideby side wide open on the trails, see which is more stable, I actually have no idea which one will be, I'm just curios, 'cause the viper is hands down the flattest rideing trailsled i've ever seen, sure, not to powerful up top, no SRX by any means, but it can take an 800 twin, but it corners on rails, and if you can get this sled unstable on the trails thru the bumps... either your rideing it wrong or something is VERY wrong

no offense to the rev, I like them alot, but calling them the be all end all is maybe premature, and calling the viper the same shit in a blue wrapper is definatly not true, but you've ridden them, you already know that

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Yamaha has come a long way in the suspension department,but there not there yet,as far as handeling like its on rails-,not even close.but suspension aside i would have to say Great sled.RX1 is prone to bad hyfax wear.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Between a Viper and a REV 800, there's no question which one i'd choose, but that's a different story... I agree with you Tfin70, don't buy until you test drove them both.
My buddy has a Viper as well, and he got a 3 year warranty, which to me is an eternity and quite impressive! I agree that the Viper corners flat and handles good. The overall fit and finish is better than most. The engine is smooth with nice power delivery, but I was not impressed with it's actual HP. My 440 could run neck-and-neck with the Viper all the way across a lake! Of course that makes ME happy, but my buddy wasn't very pleased. (Stock Viper with 150 miles) Even when he raced against other 700 twins, he couldn't keep up with them. I just felt bad for the guy who spent his hard earned money on a new sled that couldn't keep up with it's competition (700cc). Or perhaps thats just my opinion, but for sure take a REV for a test drive. Every sled has it's ups and downs, but IMO a big engine with only moderate power is not appealing to me. Yamaha makes great machines, but it seems like the Viper has let-down one of it's owners. Or perhaps he got a lemon.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I'm really liking these opinions and comments! At this point I have no idea which way I'm going to go. As I stated earlier, I have yet to ride the REV. I hear that they're going to have an 800 HO motor in the REV for 04'. That's interesting.

I do know that my brother's Viper BLOWS my XLT SP away! It does handle nice and is actually the newest sled I've ever ridden. I'm definately open to any other comments on the REV and the Viper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts