Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 600 only has 153 km on it and in the last cpl of days I have noticed that at very low speeds it has got a very jerky ride and at top speed it has a clunking noise , sounds almost like it is comeing from the belt side .
I had it up on blocks in the garage running and the belt seems to spin on its own at 1100 rpm and with no load on the track at full throtle there doesnt seem to be any noise at all...
Any advice on the problem and how to fix it would be great...........

·
Registered
963 Posts
i would re-check the belt because when it makes a noise something like that in a car it means that the drive belt is loose. also check the chain case and make sure that there is enough oil in it. we had that problem with one of our sleds last year and it wouldn't go to fast either.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Did you try putting on a new belt? That's what i'd try first.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
your belt might be coming apart, inspect it thoroughly.

·
Registered
963 Posts
oh yeah i forgot last year my sled ran out of gas. so we were trying to tow it and once i finally got it started. i was riding and it felt like it skipped a beat each time the belt went around. so i stopped and looked at the belt and it was missing a chunk. so that would be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Replace your belt ASAP. You have a "burned" spot in the belt from a time when you were stuck, loading on a ramp, breaking a cold track loose and you held the throttle on without the track moving. What you are feeling at low speed, 0-15ish mph, is your clutch trying to go down into that dip and them hitting the other side causing the rythmic "jerk". This jerking of the drivetrain is masked by higher speeds where you can't feel the hits due to the increased frequency. Don't be fooled by this... You can't feel it but your clutches, mainly the drive/primary, are getting the beeswax beat out of them the faster you go. I have seen burned belts run on higher hp sleds (100+) take the clutch faces and pit them like a sand blaster had been held on them leaving quarter size pits. This doesn't happen right away but over time and under enough strain the clutches will be damaged. Replace the belt. Good luck!

·
Registered
182 Posts
When we had snow here a couple weeks ago I got stuck pretty bad and on the way back to the farm after I got it out, there was a clunking noise like you described, so I took it to the shop and put it on a cherry-picker and the noise wasn't there but I looked at the belt thoroughly and finally found where it burnt a few millimeters on each side. So I replaced the belt and it ran fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts