Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 F5 firecat with a stock primary spring (yellow). it is not the origianl, the original spring broke and we replaced it with this one. The sled seems to pick up around 4700 RMP's. which really isn't too bad, but it seems to catch a little too high, and is tought when your riding in the woods. My question is, what should it normally pick up at? and if so, is their a way to adjust the primary clutch? i read that around 4000RMP's is normal to pick up on. Help?!

·
Registered
11 Posts
scoffta said:
I have a 05 F5 firecat with a stock primary spring (yellow). it is not the origianl, the original spring broke and we replaced it with this one. The sled seems to pick up around 4700 RMP's. which really isn't too bad, but it seems to catch a little too high, and is tought when your riding in the woods. My question is, what should it normally pick up at? and if so, is their a way to adjust the primary clutch? i read that around 4000RMP's is normal to pick up on. Help?!
I had same problem with my 04 F6 and instead of messing around with trying to guess the right spring, weights, etc i just went ahead and ordered a whole new clutch kit from speedwerx that way i knew it was right. WOW what a difference in performance. Highly recommended!!

Joe, WI

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
I believe stock engagement is somewhere around 3500-4000. Sounds like the spring you put in it is stiffer than the factory spring, which the parts fiche shows as a yellow/white. If that is in fact the case, the easiest way to get them back down would be replacing the spring for the factory yellow/white. If you did install a yellow/white (not yellow as stated), you're primary could have bad pins or rollers causing the weights to hang up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was told that the spring was positioned wrong and that it has to be set different, is this possible?

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
The primary spring shouldn't have any "positioning" to it. It only needs to provide pressure in and out to move the sheaves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts