Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$3150 for an 05 Switchback 800. Sound like a good deal? How are those engines? It was only used 2 seasons and has very low km's. I think the reason he's selling for so little is because he's 7.5 hours north of me in the middle of bum-friggen-nowhere. Anyways, my dad said he would drive me to take a look at it next weekend if it's still for sale. (My dad's busy at a trade show this weekend)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Seems like a good price. But, 15 hour round trip for a sled, I would pass.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dragon700 said:
i would pick it up. just curious what motor is in it?
800, the ad wasn't too descriptive about it, I sent him an e-mail and will call him when I'm sure about when I'm going to pick it up.

nhrider said:
Seems like a good price. But, 15 hour round trip for a sled, I would pass.
This sled runs about $5K + around here. If it's a good sled, it's worth the trip.

Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Snag it...
I might be skippin out on school to pick it up so no one else can, hopefully this deal works out..

Also, Does anyone know the horsepower on these things? I looked all over and can't find much info on them..

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would this have tapered rails? Or would I have to install them? Would ice scrathers suffice for on-trail conditions?

·
Registered
463 Posts
the 2005 800 switchback, was an edge chassis and hood, with a carbureted motor NO cfi!

the 2005 900 switchback was an entirely different machine, IQ chassis, CFI, and had a plethera of problems!

but the price seem reasonable for either machine

wheres it listed for sale at?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Biggest issue to worry about is the crank in that motor. Even with low miles, could be a hidden problem ready to explode. Best advise if you decide to buy the sled is go in and pull crank out and put wide boy bearing on the PTO end, after verifying the crank is good. It might require you to line bore the crank case end, that will be up to a machinist to tell you that. Then you will want to have the primary clutch balanced. This is a small price to pay to save on a potential $1500 bill later

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
danoxcr600 said:
the 2005 800 switchback, was an edge chassis and hood, with a carbureted motor NO cfi!

the 2005 900 switchback was an entirely different machine, IQ chassis, CFI, and had a plethera of problems!
See I was thinking that this was the 144 SB on the IQ chassis with the 900 motor and someone did the swap and got the 800 CFI in there. My bad. the V.E.S 800 makes around 145 HP I believe

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Also, the '05 800's aren't really known for the PTO bearing failures.. Lots of people talk about it, but I don't recall it actually happening to anyone.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
2002 was the best year for all motors, the 700 & 800s lasted the longest, and they were the fastest.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Also, the '05 800's aren't really known for the PTO bearing failures.. Lots of people talk about it, but I don't recall it actually happening to anyone.
I have a friend who has the '05 S/B 800, bought it with 3000 miles last year, blew a crank bearing, and $1500 to repair motor. Installed big boy bearing and good to go. Also, same happened on his '03 SKS800. Trust me, get the big boy bearing kit

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm willing to bet it's going to be sold by the time I get there. He told me someone else is very interested in it as well and wanted to know how I wanted to secure the deal. I can't give him any extra money because I don't know if I'm buying it untill I see it....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts