Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok can get a 06 700 151" set-over with slp can/airbox setup for the same price as a 07 600 HO 144" bone stock. The weight of the 06 would be down to about 500 with the mods still 25 pounds heavier than the 07 600, just wondering what everyone thinks and about any info on the 06 700 motor. Mike[:D]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hmmmmm, big block torque monster with a few mods or a 600 screamer. I see your dilema. Your GF will love sitting on the 700 while its idling. It will have 20 to 30 hp more. The range on the 600 will get you out longer (bigger tank, more fuel efficient if you're into that). If you get the 700 plan on buying a tour buddy. The chasis on the 600 it newer and will probably handle a wee bit better. I don't see how you can go wrong with either one. Maybe if you wait long enough someone will buy one of them and make the decision for you!! I'd probably go for the 700 though because there really is No Replacement For Displacement!!!!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
700 motor is actually a 755cc was a great motor... vibrated a bit at idle but didn't share the same problems as the 900. 755 is fuel injected.. another big plus. The 700 has 138hp and 95lbs of torque... big arm stretching power. I wouldn't even hesitate I would go for the 700.

Here's the quote from Snowtech magazine....

This is the only IQ Classic with a 2-stroke, but this one rips with the fully EPA-compliant Liberty 700 H.O. Polaris calls it a “700”, but it is actually a 755cc engine based on the 2006 Liberty 900. Using the same 80mm stroke, smaller 77.5mm pistons make this engine pull hard down low and deliver 95 foot-pounds of torque, with peak output a stout 138 HP!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisEdge
[br]700 motor is actually a 755cc was a great motor... vibrated a bit at idle but didn't share the same problems as the 900. 755 is fuel injected.. another big plus. The 700 has 138hp and 95lbs of torque... big arm stretching power. I wouldn't even hesitate I would go for the 700.

Here's the quote from Snowtech magazine....

This is the only IQ Classic with a 2-stroke, but this one rips with the fully EPA-compliant Liberty 700 H.O. Polaris calls it a “700”, but it is actually a 755cc engine based on the 2006 Liberty 900. Using the same 80mm stroke, smaller 77.5mm pistons make this engine pull hard down low and deliver 95 foot-pounds of torque, with peak output a stout 138 HP!
What he says.

This motor got a bad rap before it even hit the snow. To bad! Sure it vibrates more than the 600 but not nearly as bad as the 900.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Id go for the 700 too. Been a few problems with them but with some setup they can be good. In an article ive read it was compared to a 06 F7 and it did ok for itself. Kinda heavy but with similiar power. And i think the Fusion looks a lot more badass.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also the 06 700 also comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, starting to make it sound a little bit better. What are the differences in handling from 06 to 07? Mike [:D]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the new skis, redesigned tunnel, 25 punds lighter, there has to be atleast a little difference. Mike

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Changes from 06 to 07 were basiclly slight improvements every sled gets every year. Not noticeable unless you had both side by side and spent all day testing differences. The skis have changed to gripper skis. Not really sure why youd need grips to stand on a ski though. This year they basiclly just stripped a lot of things to save weight. Namely the rider select feature.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Buy the 700 and lift a little more weight when you go to the gym.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well we decided on the 06 700 151, pretty excited to take it out and giver a try in the POW. Mike

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
wow the 900 gets crap but the 700 is a great sled on here. the 700 had the same problems as the 900. same engine smaller displacement. you just don't hear about them because why not get the same sled with 13 more hp? exactly there are very few out there.

and about the difference from of 05 to 06. the 06 is a much better sled. they did not just change around a few hardly noticeable things. the cooling system alone lost almost 10 lbs. it has a new mountain specific tunnel. the spindles where changed again but from what I hear are still not as good as holz. the new gripper skis were a must for these sleds. on the 05 and 06 sleds the first thing you got rid of was the side hiller 2's . the grippers are supposed to be 10 times better. yes they did loose alot of unnecessary weight that the 05 and 06 sleds had. like rad, tunnel plastics, foot well cubbys, and other things. the 07 sled is going to be a much better sled than the 06's IMO.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The 900 is also a great engine in my eyes... in fact I've always been an advocate for it here... your right in saying the 900 and 700 are the same engine... but the 700 did not share the crankshaft issuses that the 900 did, and I'll also add that it was mostly the 2005 model of the 900 that was scrutanized so bad.. the 06 900 was leaps and bounds better but it already had a bad rep.

The crankshaft in fact was very durable in the 700 due to the fact of less vibration and horsepower than the 900. Yes it still vibrated some but not as bas as the 900 which also I don't find that bad. With lower stress on a crank designed for a bigger displacment engine makes for a very tough combonation. Most of the "speed problems" that some 900's and 700's had was not due to bad engine performance but bad clutching. These motors make their power much lower in the rpm range that most other motors. The clutches were wound too tight with not enough weight in them to shift properly.

I'd love to have a '06 700 Fusion with a torque arm and push arm, SLP pipe & can, SLP airbox, and a ECU flash. Just by doing that you save 32lbs over stock which makes it lighter than a XCSP 700, IQ suspension, and you bump it to 146hp with 101 lbs of torque in a reliable 7600-7800 rpm.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
yes the 700's did have crank failure there are 3 of them on the snowest site. horsepower does not have anything to do with the failure of the crank. I know a number of people that have the same mods as I do putting out 164 hp but with the addition of nos. thats around the 200 hp range. no crank failure. you want to know why. because we know why the cranks were going out. so we fix them.

yes they do vibrate just as much. but then again you can get a 900 that does not vibrate nearly as bad as most say they do. fortunately I got one of those.

also the changes that were made in 05 did not help a thing. 2 more injectors added 2 hp and did nothing for vibration. going back to the edge chaincase design did nothing for the vibration. the 06 spindles were changed and were not any better. the motor mounts were just as bad as the 05's again nothing for vibration. everything else was an update on the 05's so they all got them too.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
700 hands down had crank issues but that can be fixed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts