Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody taken the seat, fuel tank, and seat frame off there phazer yet. I have a set of tunnel protectors to install and I have to come from the top of the tunnel to rivet them in. Is it pretty easy to take off? Not sure if it's something that I want to get in to.

·
Registered
390 Posts
WOW, I guess I won't be studding mine anytime soon. I have not yet torn into my Phazer that far yet, but the seat should be pretty easy to get off. However, the gas tank may pose a bit of a challenge as there is a lot of plastic hanging off of it from the outside, and who knows what is attached to it from the engine side.

If you have a good dealer, go and ask them if you could take a peak at the service manual. They may even copy the pages for you. I know when I asked my dealer about changing the oil, he said come back when it's time and he'd copy the oil change page from the service manual for me.

It may be a slightly involved project, but at least it's a brand new sled. No rusty bolts, 10 year old dirt and grease, or broken parts surprises when you start taking things apart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was checking out the venture lites (dressed up phaser) and they told me that they've been studding the phasers without using tunnel protection.The service guy at my dealer said they've compressed it quite a bit and can't get the exhaust to touch the track.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It would be impossible under normal, or even extreme circumstances for the track to hit the exhaust. It is not physically or mechanically possible to compress the suspension enough for the track to touch the exhaust, unless you break the suspension. The exhaust sits right under the seat, which is suspended over the tunnel. Where the exhaust is exposed in the back, it is a good 4-5 inches above the tunnel, plus the track sits a few inches below the top of the tunnel, and turns down at this point to go to the rear idlers. Where the pipe gets close to the tunnel, the tunnel is closed off. Now, if the track were to rip apart, yeah, it could hit the exhaust, but tunnel protectors aren't going to do you any good in that situation.

I'm pretty sure Yamaha is recommending the tunnel protectors when studding because there are no tunnel length heat exchangers. The tunnel protectors would stop the studs from hitting the top of the tunnel and scarring or ripping it if the track were to balloon out to much, not to protect the exhaust. With that said, if you are willing to take that risk, then you wouldn't have to put the tunnel protectors in.

Maybe it's different for the Venture Lite. They run a different tunnel, since those have a 15" track, and the rest of the Phazers run a 14" track.

·
Registered
547 Posts
07, the seat is easy to remove, take the two black bolts off
on either side(about half way back, close to the tunnel)
and the seat slides back and up and off.

·
Registered
390 Posts
^^^ Good to know, but I wasn't asking[;)][:D]

No need for studs in my neck of the woods.

gaheinzm was asking about the procedure, but no word back yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts