Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a different two up touring sled. I currently have a new 2008 Arctic Cat T570 that is the dartiest, tippiest, scary handling sled I've ever been on. The CG is way too high and there is no suspension adjustment on the sled.
I saw a Trail Touring on our last ride but didn't get to talk to the owners. I liked the style, especially the low seating for driver and rider.
How do they ride? Any darting or tippiness?. How is the one up performance [I'll still ride solo with the guys once in a while]? Also is it stable in the deep snow? We stopped in deep snow just off the trail and the Cat just fell over. I like the fan cooled motors and the 550 seems like it would be more than enough motor for us.I'd like to try to find a leftover 2009 but a 2010 would also work. My wife is new to riding and thinks she likes it, but doesn't like the feeling she's going to get pitched off when we ride either. I don't think she will ever get back on the Cat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm surprised to hear that about the Cat...they're usually pretty good handlers. No matter what you are riding be sure the steering is correctly adjusted. Incorrect toe-in will cause excessive darting. Most sleds work best running about 1/8" toe-out...check your owners manual. I'm also a firm believer in studded tracks. On a touring sled that's not driven aggressively, two studs in every other bar adds a lot of stability and stopping power on hard/icy trails (keep'em all in the center belt) You may have to adjust the front limiter strap in the slide suspension. Shortening it will load the skis heavier, while lengthening will lighten the front end. I don't know if Woodys makes the Dually wear bars for Cats but they really cut down on straight line darting. The down side is they are quite expensive and you'll sacrifice some cornering bite if you drive more aggressively. I had to purchase softer rear suspension springs from Polaris for my new IQ Shift. On the lightest setting it was too stiff for me and I weigh 220 lbs. Now it rides so good my wife wants to ride it all the time. You may have to go to lighter main suspension springs if your wife rides single on a touring sled. Make sure you flip the overload springs down for single riding. Hope this helps you some.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts