Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a Comet 108-Exp clutch on my sled, and every belt i buy is to wide? It gribs as soon as you pull it over. Wont idle and sure as hell does not drive right. Is there something im missing with this clutch and belts?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
shim it for your belt thickness. Make sure you use a new belt.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive went through 3 belts now. And they all measure different with width. I bought 2 polaris belts and one was 1 5/16 and the other was 1 3/8 both the same exact part number. I then went out a tried a dayco belt that one measured 1 3/8. I then called advanced auto and they carried carlisle i asked the guy to measure the width and he got 1 5/16. How can i shim it when there so inconsistent? I can see brand to brand but same brand same part numer?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
you shim it for the belt you are going to use. you are never going to get it 100% correct unless to shim it each time you change the belt.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
either way is fine. But to do it yourself you will need the tools to do it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well tools are no problem for me. My family owns a couple repair shops in the area. With the tools is this a hard job? I mean pulling the clutch off was easy how hard is it to spread it apart? Is is pressed together?

·
Registered
645 Posts
first you need a clutchpuller.

then you need a tool for hoding the clutch and a tool for removing the spider. you can buy them or make them youself....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i put this clutch on:p So thats not a problem. In comparison to seperating the secondary is this much harder? Sorry for all the "dumb" questions, its just i really dont feel like paying a shop, and would love all the info i could get on doing this myself.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i dont know how hard it is to remove the spider nut, but you can do it without special tools on a polaris clutch.

but removing the spider you have to have the special tools. its easy if you have the tools. but nearly impossible without...

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Polaris650rxl said:
Well tools are no problem for me. My family owns a couple repair shops in the area. With the tools is this a hard job? I mean pulling the clutch off was easy how hard is it to spread it apart? Is is pressed together?
You should have a spider tool and a holding fixture. you can get the tools from dennis kirk, epi,

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 108 EXP is really a great clutch, just a few things people need to know, if you're using the spring recommendation that comet gives you , the clutch may not work right , google comet 108 exp clutch engagement chart. This will give you the engagement of the clutch with the weights and spring to use Rule of thumb ( you never want your clutch to engage before the motor hits the power band ) around 3000 to 3500 RPM . The weights comet recommends are right, the springs are not always right . the chart will make it all very easy . For my sled comet recommended A-1 weights and a pink spring ,or 2400 RPM clutch engagement , when my power band hits at 3000, so I went with the black spring, now it engages at 3000 RPM, the same time the power band hits, Perfect. The chart will clear up any confusion. The 108 is great clutch and smoother than any Polaris clutch, and I own 11 sleds, all Polaris , As far as belts go, I used the exact same one as I did with the Polaris clutch, and it fit perfectly. Having the right spring will save your belt

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Welcome aboard and thanks for reviving an old thread. I ended up putting a 108 EXP on my '99 XC700 and it worked well after some initial set-up (weights, spring, a shim on the spider).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts