Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a helmet cam and was wondering if anyone could tell me the goods and bads about these two?

From what I've found, the Contour is a little smaller? The GoPro however comes with a case; flip side is Contour claims to be "impact resistent."

What I'm looking to find out it opinions/info on:
-Ease of use (On/Off type stuff)
-Sound quality (Wind buffering or "scratchy")
-Durability
-Video quality (Both 1080p but any differences?)
-Anything else/Other thoughts

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You have seen my video's, so the GoPro speaks for its self on that one, the ease of use on it is amazing, 2 buttons. Hard to screw that up.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dragon700 said:
You have seen my video's, so the GoPro speaks for its self on that one, the ease of use on it is amazing, 2 buttons. Hard to screw that up.
Contour, 1 button. :p haha I'm still doing some research...

ANY OTHER HELP WOULD BE AWESOME!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
on gopro's site they say that they case is waterproof and bombproof(maybe not my bombs lol but still pretty neat). I know that in the AMA world they use gopro cameras to get POV shots. I also heard that CNN used the gopro to film that mine rescue in South America a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mad-Boondocker said:
on gopro's site they say that they case is waterproof and bombproof(maybe not my bombs lol but still pretty neat). I know that in the AMA world they use gopro cameras to get POV shots. I also heard that CNN used the gopro to film that mine rescue in South America a few months ago.
Thanks for the insight. Searched 'ContourHD vs GoPro HD' So far am finding that the Contour shows up better as long as it is stable. Has some rolling action or rolling shutter? doesn't do well if not stable/secure.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
ContourHD for sure, easy to use, great video, and it doesnt look like you have a digital camera strapped to your head.

This is a video with mine, mine is only the 720p version they dont make anymore. As you can see its very high quality, I can only imagine the 1080 is far superior to mine.

http://contour.com/stories/contourhd-video--975

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the_hog said:
ContourHD for sure, easy to use, great video, and it [highlight=yellow]doesnt look like you have a digital camera strapped to your head.[/highlight=yellow]

This is a video with mine, mine is only the 720p version they dont make anymore. As you can see its very high quality, I can only imagine the 1080 is far superior to mine.

HAHA. That's a good video! What was your opinion on the lasers to allign the shooting angle? Easy like a one-and-done or does it need to be adjusted per ride.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
How much memory do these things have? I think they look pretty cool. Do they just use memory cards like cameras or are all the components different?? And battery life?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They use a average SD memory card. I have a 4 gigabyte card I can use from my camera, the camera I never use. :p

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
How much memory do these things have? I think they look pretty cool. Do they just use memory cards like cameras or are all the components different?? And battery life?
on the gopro's if u use the max resolution setting I think you have enough space for a bout 2hrs or so.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looked like the Contour had a slightly clearer picture? But the it sounded better!

Two things, before I go out for a ride :p ...

-Does anyone know how well these shoot at night, if they're even capable?

-For mounting, I believe GoPro has like almost 10 different mounts? For the Contour what are the available mounts?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
the_hog said:
ContourHD for sure, easy to use, great video, and it doesnt look like you have a digital camera strapped to your head.[/color=red]

Oh no! Not ill-fashion!

Kai, if you buy a helmet camera because you think it looks better, your just plain stupid.

Hog, is there a case or anything that can muffle the wind sound on those?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mad-Boondocker said:
sledneck1978 said:
on the gopro's if u use the max resolution setting I think you have enough space for a bout 2hrs or so.
The Contour said if you use a 16gb card you could get 8hours of recording. Given the battery lasts I suppose. In the cold I doubt that?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Dragon700 said:
the_hog said:
ContourHD for sure, easy to use, great video, and it doesnt look like you have a digital camera strapped to your head.[/color=red]

Oh no! Not ill-fashion!

Kai, if you buy a helmet camera because you think it looks better, your just plain stupid.

Honestly the look of the GoPro factored into my not buying it, it wasnt the number 1 reason but it was a reason. So I guess with your logic that makes me stupid, good to know a 16 year old kids knows how smart I am or should I say how stupid I am based on my helmet cam choice. Fucking kids!

There is a waterproof case for it, I am sure it muffles wind noise but I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
the_hog said:
There is a waterproof case for it, I am sure it muffles wind noise but I have no idea.
So its fine with the snow w/o the case?

ski-dooer12 said:
Given the battery lasts I suppose. In the cold I doubt that?

The GoPro has a built in battery heater. So far, I've ridden had it on all the time for a day, and filming for maybe half that and its stayed on. Have not had the need to test it longer than that.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Dirt Rider magazine did a test on helmet cams in last months issue. the go pro, contour and one other popular camara. The go pro hd got a 5/5 in nearly everything but sound (including vid quality, battery life, strength, price, etc). If I was going to get a helmet cam I wouldnt think twice about ordering the GoPro HD.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
the_hog said:
Dragon700 said:
the_hog said:

Oh no! Not ill-fashion!

Honestly the look of the GoPro factored into my not buying it, it wasnt the number 1 reason but it was a reason. So I guess with your logic that makes me stupid, good to know a 16 year old kids knows how smart I am or should I say how stupid I am based on my helmet cam choice. Fucking kids!

I watched that link you posted Hog and I think your camera does have just a little bit better sound quality than the gopro's do. Have you took any spills with your Contour?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Dragon700 said:
the_hog said:
So its fine with the snow w/o the case?
Its water resistant so unless you plan on sticking you head in snow for hours on end you will be fine without a case. I dont have one for mine and have had no problems.

Mad-Boondocker said:
I watched that link you posted Hog and I think your camera does have just a little bit better sound quality than the gopro's do. Have you took any spills with your Contour?

Basically just the ones in the video.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Here is a video from my GoPro for comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao12eZZH33Y

1 - 20 of 40 Posts