Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm a bit confused here...

How many of you have seen the little gadgets to put a 12 volt plug on your sled for say your cell phone or gps or whatever? I see them all over the place. I've seen people talking about using bridge rectifiers to convert the AC voltage of their sleds to DC voltage. Polaris sell outlets for battery sleds and batteryless sleds (huge difference in pricing which I assumed was because of voltage changing technology). Heck, there are a few posts on here lately about this same subject.

Here is my problem. The lights are 12 vdc bulbs. I have a couple leds mounted under my hood that came from an auto parts store that are 12 vdc. So tell me why I need something to change the voltage if it's already dc voltage?

I want to add a 12 volt plug for my GPS, I just don't want to spend money of other stuff if it's not needed. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It really depends on what you're powering. Incandescant and Flourescent lights really do not care if it's AC or DC. But your GPS might. If your GPS can plug into a wall, see what the adapter says on it. If it says INPUT: 110AC OUTPUT: 12VDC , you know the GPS should take DC into it. If it's inputs and outputs are both AC, then you don't have a problem. Heck it may even say in the instruction book.

If you're going to spend the $10 for a nice weatherproof Acc. outlet, I'd pony up the extra $5 for the bridge and be safe.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Your sled makes AC power from the motor, Unless It's setup to convert the AC to DC you can't run any "gizmos" that require DC. You can add a bridge rectifier that is prebuilt, go to radio-shack and get the diodes to build your own or go to the polaris dealer and get the factory kit. I bought the kit since it is deigned to go into the machine, has a capacitor to keep everything going when the sled is at an idle and cost me less in time and money than it would have if I built the system myself. You don't need the capacitor, but if 12 volts is required to keep the GPS running it might fail since the sled goes below 12 volts at an idle. Any sled that has electric start has a recifier built into the harness so the battery can charge, so adding a 12v power port is as easy as plugging into the battery terminals. The battery replaces the capacitor as a source for lower rpm operation. This explains the lower cost for the kit on electric start machines. The more expensive kit comes with the power jack as well as the electronics to get the DC from the AC as you have already figures out. The kit is worth it. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts