Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
being 17 I enver bought one for my kids but I don't know. I would try to find an old kitty cat before I got one of the new 120s. couple thousand for a machine that the kid may possiblly not even like is kind of stupid to me. I mean if you only spend a couple hundrd and they like it I could see spending more and stepping up and all. I really think the sled market needs a new sled, a junior sled. All there really is is like the 340 indy fan.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i had a kitty cat when i was younger and it was a blast just the thing never went fast enough. i think the 120's are a good start if you wont want the kids going fast just put somehtign over the bar so the gass can't be put to the bar.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
There are kits to disable the governor if you feel your kid can handle it. Places like Dennis Kirk and other mail order magazines sell these kits for a small price. You can usually find the new 120's used for 1,000 or so. I've seen them at the dealer brand new for $1,200 before, but thats was this past fall. But i know when i have kids they will be starting out on one of these sleds, then when they were read i would disable the governer, then when i felt they were ready i would step them up to a 340 or some other small fan cooled sled.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am looking at buying my son a 120 for X-mas, but funds do not support it. Next year more than likely.

As far as the anti-govenor, it is only a set of zip ties and a metal band. I would not waste the money and rig it up yourself.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yeah, the kit in Dennis Kirk is a peice of wire with 2 hooked ends and 2 zip ties. They sell for 5$, but i'm sure if it only uses those 2 things it cant be too complicating.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just got a mini-z for my son, he is 4. He loves the thing. It is a very simple little machine. I looked at getting him a kitty kat, but they have no track to speak of and are pretty narrow. As for the price, they hold their value pretty well. I figure that in a few years when he outgrows it, I'll sell it and put the money towards a lite or something like that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i was thinking the same thing as XCSP 700GUY i love fooling around on my bros xr50 but i was thinking of gettin like an elan i figure i can buy one for about 100$ then if i crash it i wont care.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know a guy that bought a 2001 XC 120 for his 3 boys.The thing has major hours on it.The thing just keeps going and going and show no signs of giving up.The only he has had to fix on it was something in one of the safety switches that wouldn't let it run and he had to get a new track put on it after the first year but it was a defective track.Other than that it has just been maintnance work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
120's are the best buy on the snomobile market.(MO) 1800-1900 new and are only as low as 1000-1200 for really used ones. Thats really good in 5 or so years they've been out. Thats better than a full-sized sled, as far as investment money goes. They always hold a perty constant value. Oh yea, I bought on for the girls here and it'll go through more snow than the kitty-cats. Also will pull a sled better than the kitty-cat. Speed is not an issue I feel. Between the snow, clothing and helmet they give very good protectection for the speed a stock 120 produces. The kids will remember it forever!!!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by sledsracer
[br]it'll go through more snow than the kitty-cats.
That was the main reason I purchased a Z120 for my son. Plus like you said, the re-sale on them is great. I bought mine used with quite a few extras for 1300. I know I will get close to that when I end up selling it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you can find a Yamaha sno scoot they are great! I just bought one for my 7 1/2 year old since he outgrew the Kitty. It's 80cc, has real clutches, 6" suspension and will do 30mph with me on it! The only problem is that they were only made in 88/89 so they are hard to find, keep watching ebay. They almost look like a small rev with a stand up style, a kids sled 15 years ahead of it's time, who'd a thunk.....

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
isnt a 340 a little big for someone who is only big enough to fit on a 120... a 340 is as big as any other normal sled that any adult rides with the exception of the engine size..

·
Registered
427 Posts
340s have major get up and go....my friend has a ?1990? indy 340 lite and i have personally seen that thing do 75 mph

the sled is stock

also i have a 250 with tons of wear, tear, and abuse and it will still crank out 50 mph

i like little sleds, light to pull out of drifts if u get them stuck (440 is about 2x heavier than my 250 , on my 250 i can lift the rear bar to my shoulder height!!hows that for light)and plenty fast for me (so far)

they have the same size, feel of some bigger sleds but much easier on the wallet and still a great performer

i have been looking for a cheap 120, i have the same plans as many of you do to fix one up with a pipe, remove governor, run more high performance parts,etc.

a guy i knows younger brother races 120s and he said that the have their 120 doing like 19-20 and its all stock but no governor

it would be a blast to get one doing 30-40 and think about how high you could jump them on a small track!!

it would be good for days that you dont want to take your big sled out because of minimal snow coverage etc

fun sleds!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best investment you'll make in your kids winter pleasure. Far better than being hooked up to a Nintendo from Nov.-Mar.
Really safe, speed can be controlled and increased through gearing, etc. as they get older and more experienced.
Up in Cdn, we race them as young as 4. Apparently in US it's 6yrs. It's very reasonable and teaches them importance of safety and fun.
Get him a vest and some old shin pads and make them a track out back or on the lake.
http://www.snowmobilelinks.com/gallery.htm gives you an idea of "family fun".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts