Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering is it a big difference to go to from a 121 to 136 I have the chance to do it. Its going be like 1000 with a new 1.5 inch track

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It will be a much smoother ride, handling will be a little worse but will be able to float much better and you it hooks up great on harder pack snow.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
There would probably be more traction in powder and a smoother ride on hard packed ground.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Handling worse? No way, would be a worthwhile improvement for practically any sled out there. More traction indeed and better floatation. Find a used track and you won't have to pay as much, look on ebay. 136" tracks go for $300-400 shipped.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Why so high in price? I'm gonna try and get the 136" kit and thats a little over 200 at tracsusa.com and whatever you can snag a track for on ebay.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Originally posted by TheJcode
[br]Why so high in price? I'm gonna try and get the 136" kit and thats a little over 200 at tracsusa.com and whatever you can snag a track for on ebay.
its probably in CDN funds for parts, labor cost ( if he doesn't do it himself , etc ) since hes from Canada.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea its canadian and he puts the track and extension on himself its about a 3-4 hr job

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Originally posted by myvertxcape
[br]Handling worse? No way, would be a worthwhile improvement for practically any sled out there. More traction indeed and better floatation. Find a used track and you won't have to pay as much, look on ebay. 136" tracks go for $300-400 shipped.
With a shorter track you can turn sharper and more agressively but with the 136 I found it held a line much better. Also when your in the bumps it tends to coast over a set rather than dip as easily. Also who can say they dont like the added flotation with it as well.[;)]

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i wonder if there is a way to mount the track extension slightly higher for the tipped up rail effect. does anyone think that would work or not. hmmm interesting if it would work. if anyone doesn't understand what im getting at give me a holler and i will psot a good explanation of what i mean.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just converted my ProX to a 136", so I can not speak for the handling yet. Make sure you get the full tunnel extension instead of that cheap add on extension. It is a little more work but well worth it. You are about right on the final cost. The new Ripsaw 1.5 was the expensive part.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by roughrider99
[br]i wonder if there is a way to mount the track extension slightly higher for the tipped up rail effect. does anyone think that would work or not. hmmm interesting if it would work. if anyone doesn't understand what im getting at give me a holler and i will psot a good explanation of what i mean.
I understood it, cant remember which sled came with it like that stock. The last few inches in the back lifts upward a little bit. Gives the foot print of a 121 so steers easier on hard trails with the flotation of the 136 in powder.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I just got my Extra 12 with a tracksusa extension installed and put on tonight. I had to get a couple holes filled in my suspension and then drill that out for the bolt and make one more hole to get r done. she's all in and looks great, so far into the extension i have $107 for the extensions, $200 for the track, including a repair by carrolltech, it's a 1.5", and then $40 shipped for the extension i bought off an ultra RMK. Here's a pic!

original:
[attachment=50134]

now:
[attachment=50133]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Originally posted by TheJcode
[br]
Originally posted by roughrider99
[br]i wonder if there is a way to mount the track extension slightly higher for the tipped up rail effect. does anyone think that would work or not. hmmm interesting if it would work. if anyone doesn't understand what im getting at give me a holler and i will psot a good explanation of what i mean.
I understood it, cant remember which sled came with it like that stock. The last few inches in the back lifts upward a little bit. Gives the foot print of a 121 so steers easier on hard trails with the flotation of the 136 in powder.
It's the Switchback that comes with it stock. You wont need the tipped up rails with a 136. I rode my 136 for two years and decided it was time to go a little longer. As stated the 136 will handle just fine, in fact I'm willing to bet that you'll never go back to a short track again.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Ive just converted my prox to 136 also ive rode it about 70 miles already, were gettign about a foot of snow today so hopfully il be able to put some more miles on it. So far i havent noticed any handling difrence, it seems to go really good with out any clutching changes. Iam gonna do some clutching but for now she goes good, i bought the whole kit form tracks use track extensions everything for $488.99 us.
[attachment=46164]
[attachment=44752]
[attachment=46163]
[attachment=39649]

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by Darkstar
[br]It's the Switchback that comes with it stock. You wont need the tipped up rails with a 136. I rode my 136 for two years and decided it was time to go a little longer. As stated the 136 will handle just fine, in fact I'm willing to bet that you'll never go back to a short track again.
True. I know what I saw it on had like a 156 or 162.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dam i wana go out so bad but i gotta make up my mind what i want to do the guy i bought my sled off of his giving me 400 towrads a new track because the one i have has a torn out stud so i might just put that monye towards the 136[attachment=50204] heres the snow we got its still coming down good

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
[attachment=50310]

Did the extension to my '98 600 XC a couple of winters ago. Sorry that the pic has my goalie bag in the background, making the tunnel extension harder to see. The track is a 136 x 1.75.

Bought the tunnel extension for the '98 RMK since the rest of the tunnel was the same. Used the Tracks USA rail extensions and got the track from a friend who was converting his '00 RMK from 136 to 144. All told about $350 bucks, and the timing was right as I was rear-ended and had to replace these parts anyhow.

What I've noticed is that it's wonderful on long, straight, hard-packed trails, but it's tougher to navigate the twisties. This track hooks up. If I get on the throttle part way through a turn, the skis get picked up and I float to the outside of the turn. Just takes some getting used to. I won't be going back to anything shorter than a 136.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if i go with the tracks usa will i have to drill holes in my existing rails

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Originally posted by ganch
[br]if i go with the tracks usa will i have to drill holes in my existing rails
Yes, 2 of them. you will have to drill out your tensioner bolt, and then you will use those two existing bolts and add two more. This is what the X10/12 extension calls for.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts