Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I put a 144 x 2" track under an RMK 550 trail? It looks like the tunnel clearance my be to close. Any help?

Dennis

·
Registered
957 Posts
If it does fit, I think Your 550 is going to be under powered for that much paddle. The easiest way to see if it's going to fit is to look at the cleaarance around the drivers up front, and the middle of the tunnel (where the track gets closest to the tunnel). If you're short on clearance at the drivers you can always get a smaller set (you probably have 9 tooth ones on there so you could get 8's)

I'd consider a 1.5" at most for a 550 (and even then you might be turning too much paddle on a 144" track

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
You will have to gear it down and do some clutching if you putting that big of a track on it..

·
Registered
328 Posts
It is possible to do. With the right gears and clutching work, it will ride powder like theres no tomorrow. You will probably have to drop a size or two on the front drivers, but thats good cause that will help gear it down also. The other thing i would look at is rolling the chaincase if that hasn't already been done. It will help you with your attack angle and allow you better use of the track. Good luck with that and let me know how it turns out. Also, HighSierra, about it not having enough power. I remember back in 2000 when everyone didn't think an 800 would have enough power to turn a 151 and now they are using a 159x16, just remember its not how much power you have, its how you use the power.

·
Registered
957 Posts
That may be true.... But it's not going to be charging anything too deep or steep with that 550 geared down....With all they money involved with rolling the chaincase, clutch kit, and new gearing, You'll probably get nearly the same preformance out of a 1.5" paddle and save a butt load of cash....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not to worried about the power issue. I remember when they all said a Yamaha Phazer would never turn a 136 track back in 1986. It only took Yamaha 6 more years to catch on. The same with the liquid 700's No one thought a 151 would work on a 700. Out here that is all they sell. Or an 800 with 159.
I already have the 144 2" track. Got it off a 700 that had a 151 installed.
I got some 8 tooth drivers from E- Bay $24. That should take care of gearing and clearance. I may have to go with a stiffer spring in clutch. No big deal with that.
Rail extensions on E-Bay $58. Labor FREE. I will have less than $100 in the conversion, Plus I can get $100-$150 by selling my 136 1.25
It will not be a super power house but I have different sled for the testosterone days. I just thought a mild deep powder sled for boondocking in the trees would be nice. Besides I got the RMK Trail 550 for $1600 with only 1500 miles on it. Fun little sled.

Thanks for all your input everyone.

Dennis Noel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts