Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2000 Polaris 500 RMK for my wife... This will be her first true sled as she has been driving a friends 500 efi lately. Will a 136 track be hard for her to control and turn? I think it would smooth out her ride some on the trails and thru the ditches. She will be riding the ditches here in Central IL most of the time with one or two trips up to WI to ride the trails. I believe the track is a 1.5 paddle take with no picks. All I have ever had or the people I ride with have ever had are 1'' tracks with 96 picks. Should I even consider this sled?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
IMO sounds like an awesome sled for the wife. The motor size seems a little small, id maybe bump her up to a 600 now that shell be riding a 136. If you plan on riding ditchs i wouldnt stud it. If the track is in good shape you dont have any problem hooking up on the trails. To make it easier to handle i would suggest a slight bar rise, maybe 4 - 6 inchs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
handle bars are already raised... this sled was used by a women before but my wife is just so new I don't want to put her on anything over 500 yet... I don't really even want her draggin yet... just cruising right behind me till she gets used to riding and paying attention to everything...

is the 1.5 lug height going to cause her any problems? I don't really wanna have to buy a ripsaw right out of the gate...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can I hold you to that? I know it has only one partially torn lug... how much would you give me ? I am serious too...

·
Registered
227 Posts
what year is the 500 efi she has been riding? If the 500 efi is older then the rmk. then I would say yes it would be a good starting sled. The longer track will make it push a little in the corners, so I would go with a longer carbide to help the turning. If the 500 efi is newer, I would not chose that sled, just because the newer sled should have the better suspension. I got a 1995 indy 500 classic for my wife, she thought it was ok, then she rode my 600 edge, and I did not get my sled back. The more comfortable the ride, the happier she will be, and the more you will get to go riding.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the 500 efi is like a 1998 i think... this one has the better suspension and the 136 track... I will ask how long the carbide are it may already have the longer ones installed...

·
Registered
841 Posts
My wife too was a casual rider, not getting too crazy. She drove a 500 RMK for years and it worked great for her. The track also was 1-1/2 x 136". Still has enough power to get in trouble.
Don't let the track deter you from purchasing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 500 motor in that sled is solid. Good for around 85-90 horsepower. The powervalved version had roughly 100 ponies. She should have no problems keeping up on it if you go with a group and are on the trail and it will have enough power to get her into and out trouble if she wants. Plus it will be easier for her to ride if the snow gets deeper.

The 1.5" track is probably a non issue. Where i'm from, and its very flat, most people don't run less than 1.5" these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts