Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy is buying his first sled this year and he is unsure weather he should get a sled with a 144 or 151 track. he definitly wants to be able to climb anything he points it at, but he would like to know the pros and cons of either set-up. any and all opinions would be appreciated.

dave m

·
Registered
837 Posts
well the 151 will get you up the mountain and so will the 144, but where does he plan to ride and what motor is he looking at. and will he be riding in different contitions, like trails

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Go with the 144 for a first time buyer, it is definetly a all around sled. It will still do great in the hills, as well as boondocking-not bad on trails either. Then after awhile if he links he want's a bigger track, you can always stretch it out to a 151.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I agree with alaskan. The 144 is easier to manuver. Actually I think he should learn on a short track so he can carve and learn balance. The 151 is great for the mountains, but takes some skill to handle unless you are going straight up.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Razor makes a great point also, learning on a shorter track is a great way to go. I learned on a 121, it helps alot to better your skills - then when you hop onto a longer track you'll find it easier to master than a shorty!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. the 144 was what i was thinking as well. would it also be better for fuel consumption? most of the places we go riding take quite a bit of time on the trails before we get to the good stuff. he is getting a summit with the 700cc motor. my other buddy has a 700 rmk with 136x2" lugs, and it goes everywhere. i'm sure he will be quite happy with the 144.

dave m

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The 144 will be a little bit better on fuel due to less rotating mass, probely wouldn't notice a considerable diff between the two. If you guys do alot of trail riding to get to the deep stuff then he will be even more happier with the 144. I also have a friend with a 700 RMK 136 - they kick a$$ in the hills!

·
Registered
246 Posts
My dad has a 2000 800 RMK with a 136 and it goes everyware my 700 MM goes, I just have a little bit better floatation in the relly deep stuff but he has a bit more motor also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im in the same boat as him pretty much, This is my first real sled and it has a 151 on it, when I ride my friends with the 144 It feels so much easier to handle for a rookie like me.

Im pretty small too.

G

·
0 Posts
I ride a 144" summit 700 It goes anywhere I would ever need to climb. It turns well in the trees and easy to side hill. The 144 is a great match-up for the 700 sled. I am a small guy, 155 lbs. If I were a 200+ I may think about the 151 800. We ride mostly boondock style. It works pretty good on groomed trials but is not real stable in the corners on hard pack.

Dennis

·
Registered
328 Posts
I ride a 2001 summit 800 144 and one of my buddies rides a 2000 800 RMK 151 and on the hills i am about 3 feet below his mark and in the deep stuff we are dead even but in the trees mines much easier to manuver.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My .02 cents...

This year I went from a 136" x 2" to a 151" x 2" (BTW, soon to be 159"). I really like the longer track. I don't find it more difficult to handle or any rougher on the trails. If anything, I think it's smoother over the big bumps.

I find boondocking easier because I don't have to carry as much speed in order to keep from getting stuck. Keep in mind, I'm taking about deep snow. The 151" also allows me to turn uphill with very little initial speed (granted I've got about 25-30 more hp than I had with the 136") and this provides me with more options when picking my way through the trees.

Sidehilling seems easier. I think it's because I've got more traction. When I pull the sled over, it doesn't fishtail out on me, it just carves into the hill. Between this and the extra power, I find it easier to stay on the hill.

One thing I haven't mastered yet is turning out when highmarking. At the top of a highmark, you are typically starting to trench pretty good, and the long track just wants to keep going straight. It goes against my better judgement, but it seems that I really have to consciously transfer my weight to the downhill side long enough to establish the turn fully. With my 136", it was easier to initiate the turn and complete it, all the while keeping most of my weight on the uphill side. With the 151", I seem to move to quickly to the uphill side of the machine (chicken!) and then it stops turning, and then I'm stuck!

A buddy of mine bought a 151" for his first sled and I have to say it bails him out often. What I mean is that I know we'd be pulling his butt out a lot more if he had less track and less power.

In the end, it doesn't matter what you ride, you just ride within it's limits (or just outside of them!). As long as your riding...!

Flange

·
Registered
149 Posts
If he's goning to be riding the mountains a lot he should just go woth the 151. He will want to upgrade later. Wish I would have moved to a 151 rather than a 144

·
Registered
66 Posts
Flabge is right on. Bought a 151 800ho this year and love it. Smoother ride, handles just as good as my 138 track did and climbs with the best of them. Know your limits and ride within them,,,,be safe...Get the 151 track[^][8D]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i guess i should have replied to this a long time ago. my buddy got the 144". its awsome. it will climb anything he points it at. however, it would be a lot cooler if it was me riding that thing. i need to sell everything i own, and get a better sled!

·
Registered
115 Posts
You have a Tundra with a 377 and you want something else? Are you aware you should be able to go anywhere with that thing?
We have stock Tundra's and go just about everywhere the big guys go...even better at times. Of course, some of the places they go I wouldn't even have the desire to go. Guess that happens or should happen, once you have a family.
Then again, it is more involved than just squeezing the throttle and going wherever pointed. Speed never equates with skill.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A buddy of mine got stuck on a steep hill with the 151 long track and realy trenched in with it. It took 3 of us to even move it. That long track with high lift suspension realy packs in the snow (weight) and I think that if only 2 of us were riding we could not of got it out. When my sled with a 136 track gets stuck on a steep hill I am able to undo it by my self. Also like in other posts here he felt like he could not turn out before getting stuck. Just a thought!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure that a longer track increases fuel consumtion. This past weekend I had my Old Cheetah with it's 156 inch track at a rally and travelled right along side three other machines, two of them being fuel injected. The other machines were all relatively short tracks.
We all started with full machines. At the first fuel stop "Old Cheetah" took 16 litres of fuel, and two of the other took 23 litres including one of the fuel injected machines. I would have thought that the fuel injected machine would have been more fuel efficient.
The snow condition were 8" to 10" of old snow (no trail) in an old lake bottom where there are no rocks.
We were travelling 40 to 60 mph on untravelled snow.
I believe the long track produces less slippage and results in better milage.

Except for one F7 all machines were between 500 and 600 cc's. The fuel comparison does not include the F7 as I don't know how much fuel he put in.

Old Cheetah

Do what you do best and leave the rest to others.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yeah...but take a look at Old Cheetah's traction....that's alot of track hitting the stubble.

/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/oldcheetah.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice picture but where is the mountains....I have a 151 long track and I am 59 years old. I can not lift stuck cat anymore! My wife and I both ride together and still do a lot of hill clinbing and boondocking. I purchased a SnowBuddy, it is like a high lift jack and once I used it the cost paid for itself. The price is $250.00 but I can unstick a sled by myself. I have un-stuck two other strangers that I did not know using the snowbuddy and the following week they both purchased one.[:D]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts