Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I do a little search and found that you guys use a 1500 degree paint for the exhaust system. So I check to my NAPA supplier, they have all the dupli-color brand, and told me that they only have 1200 degree paint. They don't have 1500 degree paint, so I was wondering where you guys took those high temp cans (1500). Did a 1200 degree paint will last as long as the 1500 one, maybee the manifold will not reach more than 1150...? Any suggestion, ideas, tips...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Dont waste your money on it. I just did a new top end on my sled last week and when I had it apart I decided to paint up my Y-pipe with the Duplicolor 1200 that you are talking about. I gave it about 10 or so coats of paint and let it cure. When I got the sled back together and started it it only took a couple second of high temp operation and it started bubbling and started smoking and burning off. This stuff is junk IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
just remember when you do it to use lots of thin coats, and follow the direction as close as possible, bake it if you can. i used PJ1 VHT paint, it worked out pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by Ak4life
[br]Dont waste your money on it. I just did a new top end on my sled last week and when I had it apart I decided to paint up my Y-pipe with the Duplicolor 1200 that you are talking about. I gave it about 10 or so coats of paint and let it cure. When I got the sled back together and started it it only took a couple second of high temp operation and it started bubbling and started smoking and burning off. This stuff is junk IMO.
That is part of the baking process on the duplicolor stuff you know. Although if it is peeling away that is no good of course, but I've done two sets in the duplicolor and it works great.

[galleryattach=12734][galleryattach=9852]

[galleryattach=4405]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
F.Y.I. Most Hi temp. paints only go to 1200 degrees but, this shows 1500 and there is a dealer locator on the site.

http://www.plastikote.com/plastikot...roduct=HotPaint

HI-TEMP PAINT

Resists Temperatures up to 1500°F.
Forms a Hard, Lasting Finish that will not Burn Off, Chip or Peel.
Ideal for use on Headers, Exhaust Manifolds, or any Surface Exposed to Very High Heat.
Attached Images
Start it up and let it heat to operating temp on a jackstand 3-4 times and let it cool completely in between. On your first ride shut it down after the First W.O.T. run and let it cool. This process works for me !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Originally posted by duck91
[br]just remember when you do it to use lots of thin coats, and follow the direction as close as possible, bake it if you can. i used PJ1 VHT paint, it worked out pretty good.
VHT is what i used on my pipes, you can get it at canadian tire in canada, but i got mine at a car shop here in winnipeg and they where cheaper than crappy tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
I use black wood stove paint....It is rated for 1200f service temp. Which means it stays a constant 1200f.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
Maybeb bake it. I think you spray it on with an even coat then you let your sled run to "bake" the paint into the small parts of the metal. I would go chrome but isn't that paint really expensive? Just my thoughts. And by the way the wood stove paint is good i heard it chips though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
It works good on the stove and on the pipe. You need to put it on in small coats. A very light coverage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
the duplicolor with ceramic WILL bubble when it gets hot for the first time, that is the process of it baking onto the pipe, but if it starts flaking off u havent applied correctly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok , thanks guys. I will buy the plastikote can... and I know a guy who own a special oven to bake the pipes. [:D]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by Ak4life
[br]Dont waste your money on it. I just did a new top end on my sled last week and when I had it apart I decided to paint up my Y-pipe with the Duplicolor 1200 that you are talking about. I gave it about 10 or so coats of paint and let it cure. When I got the sled back together and started it it only took a couple second of high temp operation and it started bubbling and started smoking and burning off. This stuff is junk IMO.
Your the first I have seen with a problem.


If a mod reads this post... will you please make my how-to sticky? It seems like I am posting it every week. I don't want it to get buried in the how-to area.
Read this here. http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55476
I even posted instructions for our application straight from duplicolors customer service.

Here are mine after they got hot hot hot 3 times after 3 different days
[attachment=40355]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm little confused now, if you telling that your pipes is still looking like that after running them at hot temp, it makes me wonder if its worth for the price to get the 1500 degree paint! ok lets go, I-NI-MI-NI-MA-NI-MO..... [xx(] lol, Nice job mat![:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
i used vht 1500 paint and it worked grate

[attachment=49585]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
the best place to paint the manifold is in the bbq...i had mine in there for 3 hours set on high. seems like it will work great
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top