Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 xlt sks and i want to build a 160hp triple for it. what would be the best mototr to start with?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
xcr 800 almost has that stock

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
XCR 700 has 139 stock (this is what I heard from a reliable source, don't shoot me it's hard to find info on my black sheep), an ultra has about 105 stock but toss on some pipes you're around 145ish. To get 160 out of an XLT you'd spend more cash on that block tha n buying one of the aforementioned engines.

Bryan

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I would xcr motor that is

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yep. xcr 800 motor in there would be sweet. with some upgraded shocks up front and an xtra 10 or 12 in the rear. a ripsaw 136 track. light weight hood. nice looking aftermarket seat or pro x seat. risers for the handle bars. man you would have less in that than a new sled. but there wouldnt be a new sled to touch you.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It's also not that hard to get ahold of an Ultra engine. Something about people going too fast on them and smashing the chassis, right Jeff? LOL - seriously though the Ultra blocks are easy to find. I believe there's a few in the classifieds right now. How much do you want to spend?

Bryan

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If you have that much to spend, you'll be VERY happy with an ultra engine. The whole thing clutch to recoil would only be around 700 or so. Prolly lower. That's $1300 to drop into port work, pipes, bored carbs, etc. Your other option is to buy an Ultra bottom from a blown up sled and get a set of XCR 800 jugs and throw them on. Madcow - can he also bore a set of scored 679 jugs and sleeve it as an 800?

Wow; if I had just 1000 to drop into my XCR....

Dreams get busted by this holiday giving crap.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Wow dude, go find yourself an 680 Ultra motor or an XCR 800 motor and your dreams will be fullfilled.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]XCR 700 has 139 stock (this is what I heard from a reliable source, don't shoot me it's hard to find info on my black sheep), an ultra has about 105 stock but toss on some pipes you're around 145ish.
I thought the XCR 700 and nthe Ultra share the same motor. Thats what my polaris tech manual says.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by snake61047
[br]
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]XCR 700 has 139 stock (this is what I heard from a reliable source, don't shoot me it's hard to find info on my black sheep), an ultra has about 105 stock but toss on some pipes you're around 145ish.
I thought the XCR 700 and nthe Ultra share the same motor. Thats what my polaris tech manual says.
Well to be honest, I've heard both. My jugs are stamped 679, but the cylinders don't cross reference part numbers. I can't find sleeves for it anywhere, so I don't know the bore. I was told I'm 1 mil larger than the Ultra making mine in actuality a 699. I know I have more aggressive porting (stock) than the Ultra. Also the Ultra comes stock with a single pipe. My XCR comes from the factory as a Triple Triple.

And lumpy - yes. Depending on the pipes you get. Anywhere from a 35-43hp gain.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Polaris manual claims that it is a 679 and not a 699 motor. I think they share the same pistons also.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts