Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my grandpa who lives across the street from me bought a 1970 arctic cat puma or panther 634. I'm not sure if its a panther or an puma but he bought it brand new back in 1970 from the local arctic cat dealer. It has 800 original miles on it and it has sat in his garage since 1978 and hasnt been run since. Its real dusty but if cleaned off it would look mint. What do you guys think it would take to get running again? I really want to hear this beast of a sled. My grandpa told me its a loud SOB. and plus he wants to restore it. so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
would you be interested in selling it for the right price?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
You should restore it, what a great thing to do for gramps.
Shouldnt be too hard to restore.
Plenty of parts around, you can find parts for the 634 Hirth if needed.

It must be a big Mouth hood, probably a panther
Does it have Montana pipes?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya its got the dual montana pipes. my grandpa will sell it if the price is right but i would like to restore it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Definately a good piece of history you have there. The original Montana pipes are coveted so if they are in good shape and the sled is also you have a very nice sled that will have collectors knocking at your door.

·
Registered
538 Posts
i bet it needs the fuel system cleaned, new fuel lines, carb cleaned or rebuilt, and maybe the points cleaned or replaced.

i wish my grandpa bought sleds that cool, im restoring his sled now, its a 73 ski-doo TNT 340 silver bullet.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my grandpa was tellin me that this summer its my project to fully restore it. Its got race pistons in it right now. he said it needs new gaskets, carb cleaned and new jets. Ill put new fuel lines on it and clean out the gas tank real well and put new plugs in it, oil and everything cuz i want to hear this thing runs and work. he said it has LOTS of power

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
SELL THAT POS....TO ME!!! MY FIRST OFFER WAS JUST A NUMBER. COUNTER IT!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
bokeson said:
So my grandpa who lives across the street from me bought a 1970 arctic cat puma or panther 634. I'm not sure if its a panther or an puma but he bought it brand new back in 1970 from the local arctic cat dealer. It has 800 original miles on it and it has sat in his garage since 1978 and hasnt been run since. Its real dusty but if cleaned off it would look mint. What do you guys think it would take to get running again? I really want to hear this beast of a sled. My grandpa told me its a loud SOB. and plus he wants to restore it. so what do you guys think?
That would be a Panther, that engine was never used in a Puma.
Does kit also have the pipes on the outside of the pan? (montana pipes)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1971 634 Puma (not a mod) that I'm thinking of selling. Not much snow here in MD. It is in like new condition. I'm not sure how much to ask. I paid $2500 for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In perfect condition I'd say it's worth somewhere between $1500 and $2000. If it needs any work at all, subtract that from the value. IMO of course.

I have a 80 Blizzard 7500+ and I'd say it's in fair condition but not perfect. IMO it's worth $750 cause it runs and looks decent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting. I'm hearing $10k to $15k. Please see this link:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well if so then it's worth the spend you paid. I wouldn't have thought it'd have that value. IMO
The guy on the arctic chat site that has been involved with these for a while says at least $4,000-$8,000 and possibly $10,000-$15,000 for my guess perfect restorations or originals. Similar to Barrett Jackson. You can get a brand new corvette for $50k but will pay over $250k for one built in the 50s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts