Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1972 Polaris colt 22 with a 295. It has been sitting for who knows how long. I cleaned the points and have good spark on both plugs and I am using an external gas tank. I also cleaned the carbs. I cannot get the thing to fire up. All it does is shoot fire balls out the exhaust which I have disconnected. It also appears to backfire out of the carbs. I think the timing is off but I am unsure of how to set it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re adjust the point gap. The wider the gap, the more retarded the timing is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Do you think the timing is retarded or advanced? Probably retarded because it’s firing too late. Or am I getting that backwards.
It’s too retarded. Retarded means cyl is firing as piston is coming down advance is firing before cyl is at top dead center. Tighten the gap a few thou at a time until it runs then go one or two more at a time till it makes the best power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s too retarded. Retarded means cyl is firing as piston is coming down advance is firing before cyl is at top dead center. Tighten the gap a few thou at a time until it runs then go one or two more at a time till it makes the best power.
does anyone know the recommended gap? I’ll check the gap this evening and let you know what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts