Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody help me i have a 72 stinger with a 400 ccw go good spark compresson 120 both sides cleaned pionts and still wont start and yes i have fuel in it so thanks have a nic e day

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
have you tried to squirt some gas into the carb?
does it fire?
You probably have a Tilly or a Walbro carb. that needs to be rebuilt. Todays gas is hard on these old carbs and the diaphram's dont last to long. Which means it wont pump gas up to the carb.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
if you have spark and you have fuel to the carburator and still no firing its the carburator. i had one of those carbs on my old 74 harley davidson 440 snowmobile and i took it in and had it professionaly rebuilt for around $50 or 60 8 years ago. like mentioned above the old gaskets and diaphram in there usualy fails due to fuel we have today. i had it rebuilt with beter gaskets and threw it on there and mine fired rite up.

bet its the craburator.

you can buy kits online and do it yourelf for under $30

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Save yourself money and headaches...Make sure you get a "original" not a after market kit.
have you had this sled running before??

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
now that snowattitude mentioned that original kit. i had it rebuilt by the shop and they did an original kit on it and it didnt even last a full season so i had to take it in and they used and aftermarket kit because the diaphram in the kit just deteriated. but the original fits much beter but then again its just gaskets we are talking about.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Because most old sleds have very little hours on the carbs. I usually use the same jets and parts if they still look good, just seem to have less problems(for me)
I usually clean the carb and throw in diaphram and gaskets.

I tried after market kits, the one I bought was poor quality and had to buy a original. Maybe I just had a bad kit??

·
Registered
192 Posts
well if you have spark and compression and put fuel in the cylinder and it still wont fire, have you checked to see if the airbox or exhaust is plugged up with a mouse/squirrel nest etc? if its not that then take off the carbs/exhaust and take a peak at the pistons, possibly a broken piston skirt?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
does it have a CDI box? my dads yamaha had the wrong cdi box and still got spark and didnt start. got a new one one pull and it fired up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts