Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a semi restored 73 tnt, restored enough to look good, and its supposed to run well. Ive rebulit the tillotson HD carb, changed one coil, and set the points. It has good spark and seems to be good compression(im only judging by how hard it is to pull). The weird thing is that it will start after a few pulls with the choke on, it will idle for only 2 or 3 seconds then want to die, unless you play with the choke a little. Then it will run for a couple more seconds and die. After doing this a few times it is able to start and idle poorly on a partially open choke, it will idle poorly for a few seconds then come around and wind up real high, try to drive away, go a few feet then completely stop and die. It will do this over and over. im assuming this is carb problems but not sure what exactly
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It's still a carb problem. How where the needles? Did they look nicely tapered or did they look like they had been bottomed hard (convex at the middle of the taper)?
When you rebuilt the carb, did you use spray cleaner or did you dip it?
Spray cleaner is OK for a quick touch up, but if the carb is badly gunked, you need to to use the dip cleaning method. It seems as if you have a plugged opening still.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just used spary cleaner. Thing is i had my 74 cheetah 340 running on this carb(on one cylinder, but thats another story) the one cylinder ran fine, just very little power, as you would expect.
I bought a compression tester today, both cylinders 150psi. I am having a professional adjust everthing on the sled to make it trail ready, should i re-rebuild the carb before giving it to him?
thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i brought it in turns out i didnt have the pulse line connected, so it runs fine now, i think its having a clutch problem, or perhaps ive put on the wrong belt. It wants to move while idleing, a little brake can stop it but still unsafe, does anyone know the size of the drive belt? or if it isnt the drive belt something else it may be?
thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
lol thats good that you got it running[:D] I was just riding my friends 73 tnt bullet 294 pretty fast and lots of fun[:D] get some pics of you riding it i wanna see it in action[:D][:D]rrppp

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah sure thing, i should have it out tm and if i can get some batteries for my camera ill get pics. I lowered the idle so it stopped moving cold, but when it warmed up the idle increased quite a bit, ill look over everything tm before i go out(im riding it back to the repair shop this time, have him look over it if i havent figured it out by the time i get there).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts