Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i need to find a diagram for my suspension on my sled. I ripped the track and i have some parts to fix it but i dont know what i have to do to take the track off so im not going to mess with it unless i have a diagram or something but i cant find one. If u can find one please let me know thanx.

Don

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Here ya go.

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SNOWMOBILE/1974/1974PANTHER440(0250-050-1974)/UNDERCARRIAGE.htm

Sorry, you might have to copy and paste this one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a long track. see this thing has been an ongoing project. the sled started out as a lynx short track. then I wrecked a bunch of cleats on the track so i got another frame and put the engine in there, tuned it up and got it running then I ripped that track the day i got it running, but, when i switched the frame me and my friend decied we would put it in a long track you know so i wouldnt get stuck as easy ...ect so anyway i have 2 or 3 other long track frames and i know at least 1 has some broken cleats on the track but the other one is good. I tried to put the engine in the frame with the good track the other day but the clutches dont line up right so i think i have to change the track on the one i ripped because the clutches lined up ok in that one but, i ripped the track. i dont know if i can find a bar that goes beaneath the engine for the frame with the good track to straighten out the clutches so i decided the best way to go is to change the tracks. (wow thats long sorry)so thats what going on but, yeah its a long track.
-Don

·
Registered
699 Posts
i just put a new track on my yamaha exciter and its pretty easy if you take your time and dont loose stuff and when you get it all back to gether dont go breaking a nother one because when you get done switching them you will find out thats its not something that you wannna do all the time LOLOLOL later and good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all right man i hope i wont break it again and plus if i do most of my friends help me fix this thing all the time anyway and anyway if i do wreck it again i just might light the thing on fire and push it off of a cliff or something (lol) cause im sick of fixing it all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh yeah and also thanx to 500fasEnuf i did find them diagrams so thanx again guys have a good time!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Posted - February 18 2003 : 2:50:07 PM

i dont know what i have to do to take the track off so im not going to mess with it unless i have a diagram or something but i cant find one. If u can find one please let me know thanx.

Don

Don:
Besides the Old Cheetah I also have a 1972 Panther much like yours. To remove the track:
1) Back off the track tension.
2) Remove the 4 capscrews holding the suspesion frame, an impact wrench works best the first capscrew come out easy as you can put a wrench on each end. If you don't have an impact wrench use a longer bolt and a jamb nut where you removed the first cap screw then remove the second cap screw. With a jamb nut you can go back to the first one and use two wrenches to remove it.
3) Lift up the tunnel and slide out the suspension frame.
4) Now you have to remove the front drive shaft, split the chain case and remove the chain and sprockets. You now have to remove the bearings from both ends. The right side (opposite the chain case side) should have a locking ring on the bearing.

When you have gone this far and done this much work I would put in new bearings, just because. You can get bearings a lot cheaper fom a bearing spcialty store.

Good luck.

I had the track out of "Old Cheetah" about two weeks ago.

Old Cheetah

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey old cheetah, thanx for the info im gonna try to find something to alingn my clutches first before i pull the track, but i still want to know how to do it in case i cant find anything. so thanx man
-Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts