Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, just have a few questions. i have a nice 1974 polaris colt 295s/s it runs nice starts on the second pull it runs good but here is my question. i have a parts sled it has a 340 in it i drove it a few times and that thing was fast. i could get it up to around 60-70mph but it would fowl the plug on one cylider till its warm. do you think its worth fixing up to replace the 295? i can nly get the 295 up to about 45-50. and suggestions would be great
thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
The 340 sounds like a better option, especially if it has the dual Mikuni carbs. Is it the free-air or fan version? The fan cooled motors are bullet-proof reliable. Have fun [1237]

·
Registered
427 Posts
the 340 would definitely be worth fixing, they are a quick little engine and a lot of fun to play around with. I have an old blown up colt 340 laying around here too. jet it right and get the clutching down...i think you would be very pleasantly surprised.

cam

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. i think i'll try to get it up and running before winter, there was snow on the ground this morning though. ok one more question. i resotered the snowmobile. i sandblasted all the metal and i finished it in all white. literally. i got the seat redone in white vinyl with snow ghost embrodered on it. i mean everything is white exept the track and shocks. what do you guys think? my whole idea was to make a invisable sled it will blend in with the snow.
thanks

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Sounds kinda dangerous to me - If you park it somewhere to take a whiz or something .. and someone creams it on the side of a trail. But that's just my .02 --

My first sled I rode was a 76 Colt SS-340 - tons of fun. I called it the Porsche of sleds because to was so small, quick and nimble. Tippy as heck though. You need to make some ski-spreaders for it. When I was younger I went and bought some grade 8 bolts and some aluminum spacers. I put the skis on the outside of the spindle with a thrust washer inbetween. Put the aluminum spacer in the mount of the skis (to keep them from folding) and run the long bolt through it all. I know it's kinda ghetto - but I was only like 10 when I did it. But it worked, and made it a lot more stable. And it never broke or ovaled out the mount holes.

Bryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.