Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, a friend of mine recently bought a 75 skiroule, I think it is a 340 from what I have found for parts online, it says 300 under the seat, Sonar on the hood. My question is what oil premix does it use? Can I run the Amsoil premixed 100 to 1, or some other synthetic to be safe? Plugs, I have found b9es to be the plug it uses, but, what about gap, would a resistor type be ok, I have them, br9es. Thanks in Advance.

moved to "the shop" by XLTMAN oh and good luck sounds like a project!!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
ive never heard of a Skiroule b4.....hmm.......didnt it come w/ a operators manual? im sure it would say in there

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
What?? never heard of Skiroule. Man they were awsome sleds. way ahead of thier time. The RTX model with the Sachs motor flew for those days. Any way they used to run 40:1 even though the manufacturers sometimes called for as low as 20:1 The only thing I didnt like about them was that they were green.

Go get a new sled for your spouse.....It will be a fair trade :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it didn't come with an owner's manual, it was bought to be used on a Caribou hunting trip. I am helping him to get it running. Would a good synthetic oil be ok at 40:1, amsoil guarantees their 100:1 premix in any normal duty motor, weedwacker, snowblower, snowmobile, etc., sounds pretty neat, anybody try this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: this sled is a 300(290 c.c.).Found mix and gaps on motor, 40:1, and .020 on plugs, and .015 on points. It starts hard, and Doesn't want to run at idle. Tore Walbro carb apart, rebuilt, found a broken fuel pump leaf( I think thats what it was called). Still will not idle unless the choke is almost closed, seems to run fine at a higher rpm, no matter where the low idle jet is, doesn't seem to matter. Could crank seals cause these types of problems? Is there any way to check these? Compression is 115 psi both cyls, spark is good. Anybody have any experience with these walbro carb? It is a wr-26.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Compression sounds acceptable for that engine which should eliminate your crank seal concerns. Does it have a hose from the carb to the crankcase? if it does check there for leaks. Obviously if it will idle better with the choke on then you probably need to get more gas at idle. Could there be an obstruction in the fuel pickup or filter?. Just a few things that come to mind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check the pickup, I forgot about that, I have the filter bypassed right now. I can't see a leak in the pulse line, but I haven't had it off, I am at that point, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I checked the pickup, and the pulse line, both good.Played with the carb some more, no luck yet. I was turning the motor over by hand and noticed a leak coming from the mag side head, seems to be several, (hard to see small holes), pulled the head, can't see a crack, or even signs of detonation. Could this be my problem?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I would think it certainly could be. Try getting a new head gasket for it, shouldn't be too expensive. Also be sure the idle screw that holds open the slide, or butterfly (what ever that carb uses) is in spec. Might abe idled too low. Make sure the throttle and choke cables are adjusted correctly as well.

Yes you can mix Amsoil at 40:1 no problem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
And if you have to adjust the throttle cable and/or choke cable make SURE you do it WITH THE CARB(s) ON THE MOTOR!! Otherwise you could be in for one hell of a time trying to figure out why your sled isn't running right or idling worth a crap...

Been there. Done that. [:)]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not the head gasket, it is like it is cracked, almost like porosity holes, without any visible crack lines on the inside. It is down in between the fins, and hard to see, will try again in a few days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, got to put it back together and play a little more, checked compression again, holds at 115, drops very slowly, like I said, the holes are very small, like casting porisity? Still will not idle without the choke almost all the way closed, no leaks around seals, or any other place, if I open the choke, it dies, runs fine on the high end, and I can keep it going with the primer, (lean), had it apart again, still don't see anything else, tried adjusting the metering rod, said to set at between .05 and .20, I tried everywhere, and way more to where fuel was coming out of the carb, and it would not even run, or start. This carb? sucks. I think it is time to try a Mikuni, what size should I look for? 36mm?, 38? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, update, as much as I tried to get that junk Walbro carb working, I could not, put on a Mikuni, it fired, and idled right up, just too easy, now to find cables. Those holes in the head don't seem to bother it, let my buddy know about them. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the holes. I've seen it on many engines and if you don't have seepage coming out it's not a problem. The compression is good and that's all that matters. Check the plugs often at all the throttle positions. It's better to be a little rich than lean when trying to jet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts