Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not posting this in an effort to carry on from a previously locked post. It is being posted for information purposes only. I've been around Yamaha's for a couple of years and just wanted to clarify what years they produced the early model SRX's. The first model year was 1976 (photo) and the final year was 1981. The 1981 was all black with the TSS front suspension. They manufactured a Vmax in 1982 that was similar to the 81 SRX 440 but it was a 500. The 1982 sleds were manufactured but never released. In 1983 they came out with a Vmax 540.

/snofan/../images/users/Canuck/76_srx440_3.jpg

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The early SRX's were quite the performance sled in their day, the 1977 made 98hp. They were detuned to more of a trail sled in 1978, but were still fast. I'm currently working on getting a 1980 (Gold Chassis), I just need to be patient!

Photo of a restored 77 SRX from the Vmax4 web site.

/snofan/../images/users/Canuck/Bild_1.jpg

·
Registered
840 Posts
I almost had a chance to buy one that needed work back in the early 90's. The reason I backed out of the deal was because the motor was all apart and wasnt sure if all the pieces were there in order for me to put her back together. If I recall, the sled I was looking at was a '77 and I did read an article in one of the magazines, SRX-440's were very fast back in those days. WL.

·
Registered
506 Posts
yup, they've got the history on them here

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/sno/epic/epic_home.html

nice fast sleds

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Junior
[br]yup, they've got the history on them here

nice fast sleds
That's where I got the picture of the 1976 SRX from. The site really doesn't give much of a history of the SRX model. There has been a few posts about them on the Vmax4 web page.

Hopefully I end up getting the 1980 model, it would be a blast to drag race it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
A friend of mine has mint older SRX. I forget which year though. It has the all black hood with gold, and I think red trim on it. Maybe that's the 1980 version? It's been sitting in his shed for years. He lives on an island off the coast of Maine (Monhegan Island to be exact). He'll be moving in shore next summer and plans on going through it all and getting it "ride ready".

I'd love to get my hands on that baby!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had a '77srx for a year. It was wicked fast. It would twist and torque the front end when you took off raising one ski higher than the other.It had a lousy suspension{they all did back then} I put an old pillow in my snowpants for padding. It made me the baddest cat in the valley!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Originally posted by spaceman
[br] It would twist and torque the front end when you took off raising one ski higher than the other.
the new ones do that to if they can get traction on a launch : )

left ski always higher, could never figure out why

·
Registered
840 Posts
Do you want to know why, too much torque on the motor when hitting on the throttle - thats the cause of the left ski being lift higher than the right [:D] WL.

Originally posted by Junior
[br]
Originally posted by spaceman
[br] It would twist and torque the front end when you took off raising one ski higher than the other.
the new ones do that to if they can get traction on a launch : )

left ski always higher, could never figure out why

1 - 11 of 11 Posts